A stalemate situation - is there a way out?
Thread poster: Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:30
May 23, 2006

Dear Colleagues,
Some time ago I did a job for a company 'X', they liked it and said that they would pay by cheque and that they send it by ordinary mail. After a reminder they said they would be sending a letter with a check via post. I suggested using a registered mail, but they said their standard way is by normal unregistered mail. Now after nearly 2 months no letter. I am saying to them that I had not been paid, and they say to me: 'We sent your cheque'. The letter might have been se
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
Some time ago I did a job for a company 'X', they liked it and said that they would pay by cheque and that they send it by ordinary mail. After a reminder they said they would be sending a letter with a check via post. I suggested using a registered mail, but they said their standard way is by normal unregistered mail. Now after nearly 2 months no letter. I am saying to them that I had not been paid, and they say to me: 'We sent your cheque'. The letter might have been sent by them, it might have been lost (stolen?). So, they paid me, but I was not paid... a stalemate... ?
Collapse

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Get out of stalemate May 23, 2006

It is quite simple:

1) Ask them for number and details of cheque.
2)Ask them to cancel that cheque officially with their bank and to send you a photocopy of that cancellation.
3) Ask them for a new cheque or better still a bank transfer. If they send a cheque it won't get lost again. But give them your address again just so they have no more excuses.
4) Do not accept cheques except from people you know very well or who live nearby.

I keep my fingers c
... See more
It is quite simple:

1) Ask them for number and details of cheque.
2)Ask them to cancel that cheque officially with their bank and to send you a photocopy of that cancellation.
3) Ask them for a new cheque or better still a bank transfer. If they send a cheque it won't get lost again. But give them your address again just so they have no more excuses.
4) Do not accept cheques except from people you know very well or who live nearby.

I keep my fingers crossed!

Claudette

[Edited at 2006-05-23 07:57]
Collapse

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
That is what I will do! May 23, 2006

Dear Claudette,
I am impressed - thanks for your precise advice! I should be starting to write a mail to them right now.
Merci beaucoup!!!
Piotr

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Stalemate is not my cup of tea May 23, 2006

Well Piotr, it is just a matter of not letting them think they can get off the hook so easily. And also it is a service to other colleagues they might try and cheat too.

All the best,
Claudette

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Good Blue Board record May 23, 2006

You are right - we have to think in a community way. Anyway, these people have a good record on BB (lots of 5s from members in the recent years). I followed your advice and sent a mail to them already.
Thank you again!!!
Piotr

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 09:30
English to French
+ ...
It's *their* responsibility May 23, 2006

Hi Piotr

You call it a stalemate, I call it stalling.

When you told them you never received their check at the time it was due, they should have stopped payment on that check -let's assume good faith- and cut another one. Don't let them tell you that "the check is in the mail".

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Hi and many thanks... May 23, 2006

It's true. Thay may be heading for a 1 in BB. Will it increase the contents of my purse - rather not, but maybe will save others.

[Edited at 2006-05-23 15:34]

[Edited at 2006-05-23 18:15]

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Company X keeps stalling ... May 26, 2006

Hi,

Busy people in this company X: have done nothing I asked them to do (no copy of cheque cancellation for that matter). Yesterday said that they were sending a Fed Ex tracking number 'within the hour' (still nothing)...

A very long hours they have in Illinois.
A 'one' is now in the BB, but that has not changed their attitude obviously. And their average just slipped down by 0,1 - I am not happy with such a small change.

Well, what else is there to
... See more
Hi,

Busy people in this company X: have done nothing I asked them to do (no copy of cheque cancellation for that matter). Yesterday said that they were sending a Fed Ex tracking number 'within the hour' (still nothing)...

A very long hours they have in Illinois.
A 'one' is now in the BB, but that has not changed their attitude obviously. And their average just slipped down by 0,1 - I am not happy with such a small change.

Well, what else is there to do? We are an ocean apart, so I will not just get on the bike to drop by and say hello...

:-0
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 12:30
Member (2003)
French to English
Don't give up May 27, 2006

Just be sure to persist. Let them know that you gave them a low Blue Board rating because of this situation. Also let them know that you expect immediate payment. Instead of just emailing (which you should also continue to do), try calling and speaking with them. Do you know anyone who is more local to them, who would be willing to also contact them on your behalf? Don't give up on this situation, even though it seems like you can't do much, do at least what you can.

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
As it happens I have some old friends not so far from ... May 29, 2006

Hello,
Thanks for your support! Could be a good idea to use some people living in the country I am thinking of! Thanks for sharing it!
Piotr

Piotr Wargan
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to everyone! May 31, 2006

Your advice was very helpful - the 'stalemate' is over and the problem has been solved

Thanks again!
Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A stalemate situation - is there a way out?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »