Mobile menu

In response to a recent post re the top Indian agency
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz
Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2002

This is simply not acceptable. I hope you will not continue to post on this site. Even by standards in developing countries, your one cent is a joke.

Regards,

Jane Lamb-Ruiz

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 00:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
I fully second that Aug 29, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-29 14:26, nonogogo wrote:

This is simply not acceptable. I hope you will not continue to post on this site. Even by standards in developing countries, your one cent is a joke.

Regards,

Jane Lamb-Ruiz

[addsig]

Why is it a joke? Aug 29, 2002

I do not know the details of the job offer you are referring to (I do not follow the job offers section since I have a full-time job already), but I gather from your posting that someone in India has offered a translation contract at one cent (U.S.) a word, and that you consider this ridiculous. Well, let us examine the situation.

Translating 1500 words a day at 1 cent a word, you would make $15 a day, $75 for a five-day week, $300 per month or $3600 for a 48-week year (allowing four weeks off for holidays and vacation). That works out to about 174,000 rupees a year, according to the currency converter at <http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi>.

Now, let us compare this to what a secondary school teacher makes. I use teachers\' salaries as a basis for comparison since, unlike translators, teachers have standardized salaries in most countries. Furthermore, in the Canadian province of Ontario, where I live, teachers and translators have roughly similar incomes.

Here is what we find on the site on the educational system of India designed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training, New Delhi, India

<http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/2686/t_of_t.htm>:

\"The maximum salary for a trained teacher is three to four times his/her entry salary, and it is usually reached after 16 to 20 years of service in most states...

At the entry level, the annual income of teachers in India at different school levels such as Primary, Secondary and Senior Secondary are Rs.80,000/, Rs.1,00,000/ and Rs.1,20,000/, respectively.\"

That is, a senior secondary school teacher starts out at about 120,000 rupees a year and, after 16-20 years of service, can attain a maximum of some 400,000 rupees a year. The 174,000 rupees a year earned by the translator working at 1 cent a word would thus correspond to the income of a teacher with a few years of experience.

So tell me again, what is so ridiculous about that? I live in Canada, and certainly would not work for 1 cent a word any more than you would. But all we have to do is to ignore such job offers and let translators in India (or other countries with a similar economic profile) apply for the jobs. There is no need to gratuitously insult people in India, Russia and other less well-off countries.

Charov

<br><br><font size=2>[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-29 17:36 ]</font><br><br><font size=2>[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-29 17:41 ]</font>

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-29 17:45 ]

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I live in one of the cheap countries, but I wouldn't work for 1 cent Aug 29, 2002

Even local rates are higher than that, not to speak of international assignments

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FORGOT TO MENTION Aug 29, 2002

The one-cent poster wanted NATIVE speakers of English...

Good luck....

Re: Native speakers Aug 29, 2002

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

FORGOT TO MENTION

The one-cent poster wanted NATIVE speakers of English...

Okay, now I get your point. There are only 178,598 native speakers of English in India (according to the 1991 census), and since presumably only a few of them would be translators, the poster would have to up his offer considerably to attract them. Still, it seems to me that that is the poster\'s problem, not ours!

The real problem here is that the poster insists on hiring only native speakers. In Canada at least, it would be considered discriminatory if an employer refused to hire someone because of that person\'s native language. The employer certainly has the right to test applicants (or require them to be tested by third parties such as professional translators\' associations) to make sure they satisfy the requirements of the job but an employer who a priori excludes applicants on the basis of their native language leaves himself or herself open to charges of discrimination. A native-speaker requirement would be especially absurd in a country like Canada, where even many native-born children are strictly speaking not \"native speakers\" of English, as the first language they learn is often the language of their immigrant parents. However, I do not know what the situation is in India.

Charov

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Here's another very nice 'offer' Sep 11, 2002

http://www.proz.com/job?id=26423

7 USD/hour...

Some people will never learn.
[addsig]

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Mcjobs Sep 16, 2002

\"Would you like fries with that, sir?\"

Oh, I am sorry, that job pays more.

Nevermind.

Quote:

On 2002-09-11 17:44, jazyk wrote:

http://www.proz.com/job?id=26423

7 USD/hour...

Some people will never learn.

LGeller
Spanish to English
WOW Charov Nov 19, 2002

I completely agree with you, if they won\'t work for those rates then they just should bid and that\'t it, it can\'t be simplier...

Even for translators who have just started and need to work to get experience more than to get money... like me, I did several jobs for free after I graduated from the translation course, just to gain recognition, of course I worked for relatives and friends but it helped for my curriculum since I was so young, and I got my first real job with a big company!! It was all worth the effort and I learned a lot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In response to a recent post re the top Indian agency

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs