Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
76 offers (and growing!) for 0.04 euro /word on proZ??
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 3, 2001

Dear everybody,

Do you find it normal that 76 people are answering enthusiastically to the following request appearing on proZ at the time I am writing?

>

It is true that the source language is common (English) but the target is for languages in countries where life is not cheap at all!! (Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, Spain). I wonder how can this be... is it a sign of a crisis of our industry?

[ This Message
... See more
Dear everybody,

Do you find it normal that 76 people are answering enthusiastically to the following request appearing on proZ at the time I am writing?

>

It is true that the source language is common (English) but the target is for languages in countries where life is not cheap at all!! (Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, Spain). I wonder how can this be... is it a sign of a crisis of our industry?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-03 11:03 ]
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:58
French to German
+ ...
Slave work Nov 3, 2001

Dear Luca,

I am one among the 76. I gave my rate - an exceptionally low € 0.12 per word, indicating that this was slave work. The problem is that people (even very qualified ones) agree to work for such rates. I am probably going to be scolded for my input, but I think this is just degrading for all of us.

I have, of course, some ideas what could be done. However, I think the proZ team of moderators probably knows what is possible and what not.
<
... See more
Dear Luca,

I am one among the 76. I gave my rate - an exceptionally low € 0.12 per word, indicating that this was slave work. The problem is that people (even very qualified ones) agree to work for such rates. I am probably going to be scolded for my input, but I think this is just degrading for all of us.

I have, of course, some ideas what could be done. However, I think the proZ team of moderators probably knows what is possible and what not.

Greetings

Maya
[addsig]
Collapse

fmackUK

Odilon Louzada
Odilon Louzada
Brazil
Local time: 11:58
English to French
+ ...
76 translators going on 100 soon Nov 3, 2001

Dear Luca,

Ciao!

That hurts me too!

I\'m sorry to say this, but these are market rules, I\'m affraid.

I don\'t think it\'s an industry crisis whatever and there\'s nothing we can do about this issue. There\'ll always be beguinners or other translators leaving in countries where cost of living is not as high as in Europe or US. However I\'m sure they pay what it\'s worth, meaning quality should not be an important factor anyway.

All the best
... See more
Dear Luca,

Ciao!

That hurts me too!

I\'m sorry to say this, but these are market rules, I\'m affraid.

I don\'t think it\'s an industry crisis whatever and there\'s nothing we can do about this issue. There\'ll always be beguinners or other translators leaving in countries where cost of living is not as high as in Europe or US. However I\'m sure they pay what it\'s worth, meaning quality should not be an important factor anyway.

All the best

Dillon
Collapse

fmackUK

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am amazed too Nov 3, 2001

The bids are now 126.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:58
German to English
+ ...
It is the sign of the times Nov 4, 2001

Such is life nowadays, I guess. Maybe it would be a good idea for Henry to implement the idea of $1 per bid; that would help reduce the number of people willing to bid on such a lousy offer.

I think it is a closed bid, so we don\'t even know what those 126 people wrote in their bids. Maybe they gave the outsourcer a good lashing.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:58
German to English
+ ...
I'm appalled! Nov 4, 2001

I can only say that I\'m appalled by this trend. It looks like it\'s translators themselves who are driving down the prices.

Why are we doing this to ourselves??? Can one Eurocent/word be far behind??

I no longer bid on Proz jobs, because the posters seem to be looking for the cheapest translators and apparently have no problem finding them. (((

Luckily, I have clients who appreciate the quality
... See more
I can only say that I\'m appalled by this trend. It looks like it\'s translators themselves who are driving down the prices.

Why are we doing this to ourselves??? Can one Eurocent/word be far behind??

I no longer bid on Proz jobs, because the posters seem to be looking for the cheapest translators and apparently have no problem finding them. (((

Luckily, I have clients who appreciate the quality of my work and are willing to pay for it.

Trudy

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Collapse

Restituta Castiello
Restituta Castiello
English to Italian
Please, let also beginners work Nov 4, 2001

I\'m not at all amazed of those 126 bids! I\'m a beginner and most of the time I answer a bid I find my way closed by other more experienced translators. This is clearly a job directed to beginners, because no experienced translator would accept such a pay. I answered to this bid and I\'m not at all ashamed. I have worked for much less too!! So please let also beginners start gaining their experience at their own expenses!

Stefan Ramm

Chiara Santoriello
Chiara Santoriello  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am amazed too. Nov 5, 2001

Hi everybody.

I don\'t think it\'s the sign of the time as I have job. Maybe these replies come from translators at their first experiences who can accept such a fee.

Anyway we cannot check bids and as I noted when looking at them, people apply even though they are not skilled for the kind of job offered.

I believe that a little more control on bids is necessary.

Kate Persson
Kate Persson
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Don't join them! Nov 5, 2001

Hi everybody

I don\'t think this is a sign of the time at all. Don\'t bid on such jobs that\'s the only way to stop them. \"Translators\" bidding that low simply know nothing about market prices, cash flow management, SWOT-analyses, marketing, time consumption and quality.

Don\'t join them - beat them, if you want to make both ends meet.

Best of luck to you all

Kate Persson

Chris Cheal
Chris Cheal
Slovak to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2001

What is a SWOT analysis? My local rate here (Slovakia) converts as 0.031/word, and I can make a decent living at that price. Welcome to globalisation people.

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 20:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
What can de done? Nov 5, 2001

This has been happening for a long time now. The basic thing is this concept of bidding. If you are a professional , why a bidding!

Have you seen anybody bidding for a surgical operation and for that matter even for a carpentery, masonary or an electricaljob?

But why does this happen in case of translators?

I think it is because someone introduced this custom of bidding.

Once you start auctioning the services of professionals, then
... See more
This has been happening for a long time now. The basic thing is this concept of bidding. If you are a professional , why a bidding!

Have you seen anybody bidding for a surgical operation and for that matter even for a carpentery, masonary or an electricaljob?

But why does this happen in case of translators?

I think it is because someone introduced this custom of bidding.

Once you start auctioning the services of professionals, then only God can help you.

Stop this bidding concept and everything will be alright.

Now, many of our colleagues will put forward arguments glorifying the virtues of bidding.

Some will say, do not bid if you do not like.

Afer all, agencies are business houses and they will think in business terms. And they are right.

But the translators should be carefull enough. Please do not auction your talent or expertise. I hope we all get the message clear enough.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-05 03:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-05 03:37 ]
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ridiculous rates! Nov 5, 2001

Quite amazingly, the number of bids is now up to 173!!

I agree with some previous comments in that the only way to have any chance of ending these ridiculous rates is to stop bidding for these jobs. Obviously we don\'t know how many bids actually offered the asking rates, but I would think that those not offering that rate should just not bother bidding.

Apparently, from some of the replies, some translators are prepared to work at these rates and if tha
... See more
Quite amazingly, the number of bids is now up to 173!!

I agree with some previous comments in that the only way to have any chance of ending these ridiculous rates is to stop bidding for these jobs. Obviously we don\'t know how many bids actually offered the asking rates, but I would think that those not offering that rate should just not bother bidding.

Apparently, from some of the replies, some translators are prepared to work at these rates and if that is the case, then I wish them good luck to them. If they do so, it also leaves more jobs at sensible rates for others.
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is SWOT? Nov 5, 2001

By now I know something about market prices, cash flow, marketing, time and quality but… what is SWOT-analysis??

[quote]

On 2001-11-05 02:28, katepers wrote:

\"Translators\" bidding that low simply know nothing about market prices, cash flow management, SWOT-analyses, marketing, time consumption and quality.

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
(Intelligent) bidding is great! Nov 5, 2001

Contrary to Telesforo’s opinion, I believe that bidding is a great way of using nowadays IT for my advantage as a translator. Being based in Italy I would certainly not have as many chances to meet good (i.e. non-Italian) potential customers without ProZ. By bidding I have acquired a few clients in a short period of time, and some of them are absolutely glad to pay well for quality. Moreover I am able to build my customer base among those willing to develop work relationships trough the We
... See more

Contrary to Telesforo’s opinion, I believe that bidding is a great way of using nowadays IT for my advantage as a translator. Being based in Italy I would certainly not have as many chances to meet good (i.e. non-Italian) potential customers without ProZ. By bidding I have acquired a few clients in a short period of time, and some of them are absolutely glad to pay well for quality. Moreover I am able to build my customer base among those willing to develop work relationships trough the Web – a very convenient way to work. Last but not least, e-marketplaces are getting more and more important in all industries, including automotive, construction and electricity. Just do am engine search with “e-marketplace” and you will see…

Ciao,

Luca

[quote]

On 2001-11-05 03:32, telef wrote:

The basic thing is this concept of bidding. If you are a professional , why a bidding!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-05 05:27 ]
Collapse

Branka Arrivé
Branka Arrivé
French to English
+ ...
"strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats" Nov 5, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-11-05 05:05, tunein wrote:

By now I know something about market prices, cash flow, marketing, time and quality but… what is SWOT-analysis??

Quote:

On 2001-11-05 02:28, katepers wrote:

\"Translators\" bidding that low simply know nothing about market prices, cash flow management, SWOT-analyses, marketing, time consumption and quality.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

76 offers (and growing!) for 0.04 euro /word on proZ??

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »