How much money to charge for copies of certificates?
Thread poster: Magdalena Reyes

Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2006

Hi...
Does anyone have an idea how much should I charge for each copy of a translated certificate that need seal and signature of the translator?

thanks for your help!
Magda =D

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just Copies? May 31, 2006

I routinely give clients not one, but two copies (originals actually, signed and sealed) of translations of certificates, such as birth certificates, academic transcripts and personal documents of that nature. I don't tell them that until they come to pick it up.

That way I would hope they do not have to come back for more. But if they do, I will provide them free.

There is not a lot of money in such work anyway, but doing things that way creates good will.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same as Henry Jun 1, 2006

I don't staple the second copy, so clients can make additional copies if they need them. I feel that once they have paid me for the translation, that should be enough.

Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you both!! Jun 1, 2006

Hi..
Thanks for your comments. I thought the same, but I also wanted a second opinion...
That is a nice way to give the client the chance to keep working with you, right? No doubt of it!!

Thank you and have a nice day!!
Magdalena

Luis Zepeda
United States
Local time: 19:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
How much money to charge for copies Jun 1, 2006

I do not charge clients for copies of the translations if I can send it to them as e-email attachments.

However they frequently want additional originals with a certified original signature on them and a notary stamp.

In such cases, the copies with original signatures are free but I charge them for the notary seal and postage because I have to pay for them.

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:53
English to Polish
+ ...
I charge a small percentage of the job value Jun 1, 2006

Just to cover the time used for signing / sealing extra copies and the cost of printer consumables.
The percentage is really small, so with jobs like 1-2 pages I skip the trouble of calculating it (buit inform the customer of the favour. With large jobs like 50+ pages it is worth the trouble.
Quite recently an end customer appeared with a request of making three additional hard copies of an 80-page job I did for him half a year ago (necessary for legal reasons). I netted quite a nice sum for that, but also spent a considerable amount of time just signing and sealing each page ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much money to charge for copies of certificates?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs