Non-paying client in the UAE
Thread poster: Ala Rabie

Ala Rabie  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:00
Japanese to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 3, 2006

I have translated several documents for an outsourcer/client in the UAE. The client, who is the owner of a publishing house from which she operates, is always so demanding, with unbelievably tight deadlines (i.e. 3000 words in 20 hours) and low rates, however she promised an immediate payment once I confirm it.

Upto this point, everything seems almost alright. However, things began to look really suspicious when she started neglecting every email I send requiring detailed billing information as to complete the invoice.

Anyway, I managed to get some of her contact information through a third party, and used it issue the invoice, with May 23rd as deadline. Surprisingly, she responed confirming that she will pay in time, just to disappear again!

I am about to send her a new invoice, with late fees and new deadline, but in case she continued neglecting my emails, I have prepared the following procedures:
  • Blacklisting her in every translation portal/agency.
  • Informing every possible local client of hers.

However, I would like to know if there is
  • Any debt-collecting agencies in Dubai, UAE.
  • A method to inform the local chambers of this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

~Ala
alamnesis.com

[Edited at 2006-06-03 01:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hi Ala Jun 3, 2006

Hi Ala,

Could you provide me- in a private message to my e-mail- with her name and information? I worked in Dubai for two years and I may be able help through my contacts there.

Best regards,

Waleed

Egypt
Japanese to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more.. Jun 3, 2006

Thank you very much, Waleed.

I just phoned in, and got another promise. I think I should give her one more chance before taking any action. And then, I will send you asking for help

~Ala
alamnesis.com

Waleed Mohamed wrote:

Hi Ala,

Could you provide me- in a private message to my e-mail- with her name and information? I worked in Dubai for two years and I may be able help through my contacts there.

Best regards,

Waleed

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
Saunds like a loser of a situation with that client in UAE Jun 3, 2006

Ahalan wa sahalan...

In view of that client's poor record of performance and her unprofessional-sounding business model (esp. her treatment of you and paying you for services provided), you might consider disqualifying and deleting that client from your list.

Regret to mention that, after a while, your getting payment might become an ordeal not worth your time and attention.

Sounds like a loser of a situation, so good luck in getting payment in your hands, bidhin Allah.

Hope this helps. Khair, in shaa' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:00
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Best of luck Jun 4, 2006

I have had a similar experiance with a compeny in UAE and they simply didn't pay. I even hired a collection agency with local presense there but to no avail. Seems that rules ad regulations there allow such companies to get away with this kind of disputes. This client of yours is following a pattern like all non payers. The only thing I could do was to post their information on payment practice lists, and I did.

Egypt
Japanese to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re-organizing Jun 5, 2006

Stephen Franke wrote:
(...)In view of that client's poor record of performance and her unprofessional-sounding business model (esp. her treatment of you and paying you for services provided), you might consider disqualifying and deleting that client from your list.

That would go without saying, eh, Stephen. Although the trial and err technique is very costy in our profession, especially when it comes to health complications and such, it remains the ultimate approach to establish a stable client list.

Rahi Moosavi wrote:
(...)Seems that rules ad regulations there allow such companies to get away with this kind of disputes.

Here lies the problem, Rahi; now I am supposed to not only check the records of the company/agency/client I am dealing with, but every country's local laws as well in order to make sure that I would be able to collect my money by force.

A few days ago, a ProZ peer asked me about taxation in India, for an Indian agency told her that they have to deduct xx% from her payment for income tax!
Right! Income tax applies for non-Indians who live outside India! Ha!
If filibustering is the worst part in dealing with frauds, retarded fraud attempts are the most frustrating!

~Ala
alamnesis.com

[Edited at 2006-06-05 03:59]

Bahram Salehi  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
German to English
+ ...
My case is the same, but in USA Jun 5, 2006

I have translated for two outsources in USA. I have contacted them several times, without receving any response from them. The only address I have of oneof them is an e-mail address and a name. I wonder how I can obtain my claim from them.

Egypt
Japanese to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Action! Jun 6, 2006

Now she is avoiding my calls as well!

I sent her an overdue invoice, with 15% late fees, and 10 days to make the payment.

To tell the truth, I do not expect someone who showed such dishonesty and untrustworthiness to abide to anything at this very point, that is why I started a massive-hunt to get detailed information on her.

Now I even know where her brother works in the UK

I gathered around 2,000 email addresses of Arabic English French (her working language pairs) freelancers, and at one click she will be outed.

I had a talk with a PE in Dubai to track her down, and when it is done, I will give the local chamber of commerce a try on the matter.

I am making a list of every subtitling and translation agency in the UAE as well as her homeland (she is not Imerati.)

Blacklisting is about to go afoot.

What else to do?

~ Ala
alamnesis.com

Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
a last step... Jun 6, 2006

Hi Ala,

I got the contact details of her brother in London. He is a good man and I worked for him once and he paid me with no delays.
So, I suggest you contact him first before any blacklisting action.

I will send you his contact details in a private message!

Best wishes

Waleed

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please continue the discussion off this forum Jun 6, 2006

Ala, Waleed,
Which actions you take in respect to any outsourcer is your decision, of course. But may I ask that you continue your discussion off this forum.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ralf

Egypt
Japanese to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, Ralf :) Jun 6, 2006

I was trying hard not to have any personal information on whatsoever in the forums.

I will post again after being paid or after blacklisting is over to report the results (with no personal data of course; just two words!)

~Ala
alamnesis.com

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks! Jun 7, 2006

I was trying hard not to have any personal information on whatsoever in the forums.

I know, and I appreciate that.

Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-paying client in the UAE

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs