Thread poster: Pinelopi Ntokmetzioglou
Pinelopi Ntokmetzioglou
Pinelopi Ntokmetzioglou
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:50
English to Greek
+ ...
Jun 6, 2006

Hello! Could someone tell me what the average hourly rates (in UK pounds) would be for translation and proof reading from Greek into English?
Many thanks.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
I charge between £ 20 and 30 per hour Jun 6, 2006

But this is for Dutch/English.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 06:50
English to Danish
Perhaps not standard, but... Jun 6, 2006

...why don't you look at the hourly rate you usually make charging per word or however you may charge?

If I'm asked to quote an hourly rate for translation, I usually base this on the amount of words I can usually translate and check in one hour given time for research etc.

In my case, this would be around 500 words for subjects that I would need to make any kind of research on, and then I simply apply my usual per word rate.

I.e.: your usual hourly output
... See more
...why don't you look at the hourly rate you usually make charging per word or however you may charge?

If I'm asked to quote an hourly rate for translation, I usually base this on the amount of words I can usually translate and check in one hour given time for research etc.

In my case, this would be around 500 words for subjects that I would need to make any kind of research on, and then I simply apply my usual per word rate.

I.e.: your usual hourly output (number of words) x your usual per word rate = your hourly rate.

Just a suggestion.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:50
English to French
+ ...
I agree with PCovs Jun 7, 2006

I completely agree with everything she says. I also would like to add that from the moment you are paid by the hour, it is irrelevant what work you perform (editing, proofing, validation, etc.). You are a translator and whatever hourly rate you figure out is how much you are worth per hour, regardless of the work you perform.

It is a common misconception to charge less for "lesser" jobs like proofing. I would rather translate at $50 per hour than proof at $25 per hour. And by taking
... See more
I completely agree with everything she says. I also would like to add that from the moment you are paid by the hour, it is irrelevant what work you perform (editing, proofing, validation, etc.). You are a translator and whatever hourly rate you figure out is how much you are worth per hour, regardless of the work you perform.

It is a common misconception to charge less for "lesser" jobs like proofing. I would rather translate at $50 per hour than proof at $25 per hour. And by taking on proofing jobs at an hourly rate that's lower than my hourly translation rate, I am making myself unavailable for potential translation jobs that would pay better. If you were a doctor and would be asked to clean the clinic because the maintenance people are on holiday, would you accept to be paid a quarter of the amount you usually get as a doctor for the time spent cleaning?

So, once you establish your hourly rate, stick by it and apply it to all the different types of jobs you get paid by the hour for, regardless of how much easier those jobs are. Besides, when a job is easier, it also takes less time to do. This means less money - which is reasonable for all parties.

Good luck!
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
double post :S Jun 7, 2006

[Edited at 2006-06-07 08:56]

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
That would be... Jun 7, 2006

Marijke Singer wrote:
I charge between £ 20 and 30 per hour
But this is for Dutch/English.

£25!!

English/Spanish £30 here

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hourly rates

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »