Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Rates: not a lost battle!
Thread poster: marie-christine périé

marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:53
English to French
+ ...
Jun 10, 2006

Hi all!

An agency (US, and I'm in France) contacted me through another site. I answered OK, I'll be pleased to work with you, etc.

Then, they mentioned they liked their translators to do a translation test. To which I said OK, but here are my rates, could you please agree them first?

They are reasonable rates, not the highest, but from what I can judge, on the high side anyway.

And here is the answer I received:
"Your rates are not out of the range for quality French translation. We only work with translators who can provide quality."

That made my day! We talk so much about cheap rates that I thought I would share this with you too.

Marie-Christine

[Edited at 2006-06-10 12:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:53
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
thank you Jun 10, 2006

marie-christine périé wrote:

That made my day!

..and you made mine!

Thank you. have a nice day

Tex

Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:53
English to Spanish
Good news... Jun 10, 2006

... for everybody.
Thanks, Marie-Cristine, for sharing this!
Have a nice weekend!

Silvina

xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to French
+ ...
Rates... Jun 11, 2006

You made my day. The other day I got an offer from a European translation agency who offered me 2 euro per page for a proofreading job!!! I could not believe my eyes! I immediatly replied saying no professional translator (even a student) would accept doing a job at such a poor rate! The reply I got was "a lot of good professional translators in France and Europe do work at that rate so we think we are applying good rates bla, bla..."Tell me it's not true!

Ara Mkrtchyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 16:53
English to Armenian
+ ...
"Nice price" Jun 12, 2006

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:

You made my day. The other day I got an offer from a European translation agency who offered me 2 euro per page for a proofreading job!!! I could not believe my eyes! I immediatly replied saying no professional translator (even a student) would accept doing a job at such a poor rate! The reply I got was "a lot of good professional translators in France and Europe do work at that rate so we think we are applying good rates bla, bla..."Tell me it's not true!

Ann, don't let them take you in - 2 euros per page is not serious at all (at least for me). I usually charge 2.5 cents per word for proofreading, and it makes approx. 10 dollars a page which, I believe, is not high at all. As regards their attitude, it's probably a lie, a way of convincing a translator that "see, even experts work at this rate". Two things:
1. It can be a real price, not a persuasion technique for very out-of-the-way agencies from developing coutnries (e.g. in Armenia), where 2 euros a page for proofreading is not that bad (but still this is not a professional's rate even here; also the usual pricing goes per word, not per page).
2. You must make clear what you mean by proofreading. Once I was offered a job with proofreading included in the standard price of translation. First the client refused to pay it, but then I explained to him that proofreading is not simply "going over the page to spot conspicuous errors/typos" and offered a link to a useful proofreading techniques posting in this forum (sorry, can't remember, you'll have to search). In the end he agreed to pay seperately for proofreading. In a word, some clients do not really understand what proofreading is, regarding it as a mere spelling checking.

Rgrds,
Ara Mkrtchyan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates: not a lost battle!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums