https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/49606-received_a_strange_blacklist.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Received a strange blacklist
Thread poster: Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2006

Hello all,

I have just received a very long list of " non paying agencies," BUT..... inside this list there are 3 agencies which always PAID me punctually,

Did someone receive it too?

what do you think?

I am stunned and confused.......

[Edited at 2006-06-17 21:56]

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 14:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Disregard it unless... Jun 17, 2006

....you requested this list from a reputable and reliable source.

Did you order it or did someone send it to you out of the blue? It would seem strange if you just received it without asking for it.

Anyway if it's from a good source you could advise them about the 3 agencies that are good so that they can be deleted from the list as that would just be unfair if they are being blacklisted for no good reason.

If it's just a random mailshot from someone you d
... See more
....you requested this list from a reputable and reliable source.

Did you order it or did someone send it to you out of the blue? It would seem strange if you just received it without asking for it.

Anyway if it's from a good source you could advise them about the 3 agencies that are good so that they can be deleted from the list as that would just be unfair if they are being blacklisted for no good reason.

If it's just a random mailshot from someone you don't know then just delete it as it could be they have a grudge to bear for whatever reason against all agencies in general. Circulating it to other translators would be doing their dirty work so I wouldn't do that.

That's my initial thoughts.
Mark
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did not request it Jun 17, 2006

The source is another translation site which I never used, so I don't know if it is reputable,

I thought to inform those agencies, but I am afraid they can misunderstand my information and I am also afraid to offend them

Urghh

Thanks a lot Mark

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Did you see atleast who the sender was Jun 17, 2006

I have outstanding bills of huge amounts, really. I could use that kind of a list. Could you send me ? How good is the list. Best Brandis

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
Strange.. Jun 17, 2006

Well if this list is being circulated then maybe others who receive it can give better advice and they may see agencies also listed who shouldn't be listed.

I would say if it came to you from one of the top 5 translation websites, I think we all know who they are, then they are reputable and you should advise them about the agencies listed that you have worked for and have had a good experience with and then it is up to them to review the list before sending it out.

Mar
... See more
Well if this list is being circulated then maybe others who receive it can give better advice and they may see agencies also listed who shouldn't be listed.

I would say if it came to you from one of the top 5 translation websites, I think we all know who they are, then they are reputable and you should advise them about the agencies listed that you have worked for and have had a good experience with and then it is up to them to review the list before sending it out.

Mark

p.s. as an afterthought...I have a good rapport with agencies I deal with as I'm sure you and we all do. If I saw an agency that I deal with being blacklisted then I would tell them because I think if it was me being bad-mouthed then I would want to know about it. They could then present their case to the sender of such a list and I would support them.

[Edited at 2006-06-17 13:17]
Collapse

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Very strange Jun 17, 2006

It sounds very strange: I have never received any kind of black lists from nobody and I am wondering why should anybody be interested in sending such a list.
If the list contains names of reputable agencies, they could sue the compiler(s); as far as I know, it is forbidden to divulge such lists.
Angioletta, could you pls let me know who is the sender of the list? Maybe I know that site or any agency named in the list ([email protected]). Thx
If a good and honest agency i
... See more
It sounds very strange: I have never received any kind of black lists from nobody and I am wondering why should anybody be interested in sending such a list.
If the list contains names of reputable agencies, they could sue the compiler(s); as far as I know, it is forbidden to divulge such lists.
Angioletta, could you pls let me know who is the sender of the list? Maybe I know that site or any agency named in the list ([email protected]). Thx
If a good and honest agency is listed as a bad payer, it will cause a damage either to the agency and its translators.

ciao

Antonella
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know Jun 17, 2006

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:If a good and honest agency is listed as a bad payer, it will cause a damage either to the agency and its translators.

This is the reason why I posted it here, I would need an advice, may be by Mr Lemster who is very competent in this matter.

Because I don't know if it is better to inform the reliable agencies I know, or the sender of the list.

As I told you I am confused.

Ciao

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
in that case.... Jun 17, 2006

...and with all respect...if you're only going to be happy with his "competent" advice then click the button below and call him to this forum.

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I appreciate your advices Jun 17, 2006

I am not only going to be happy with his advice, I just would like his advice too.

And many many thanks for your ones

[Edited at 2006-06-17 21:58]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Blacklists Jun 17, 2006

Hi all,
Thanks for the compliments - but please do remember that there's an entire team of Jobs/BB moderators working 'behind the scenes' of the Jobs area, and the Blue Board. None of us could do that job alone, and we in turn rely on the support of ProZ.com members and users (who are often our 'eyes and ears').

I have a feeling I know which list
... See more
Hi all,
Thanks for the compliments - but please do remember that there's an entire team of Jobs/BB moderators working 'behind the scenes' of the Jobs area, and the Blue Board. None of us could do that job alone, and we in turn rely on the support of ProZ.com members and users (who are often our 'eyes and ears').

I have a feeling I know which list you're talking about - when a competing site first started sending out their 'black list', some members asked ProZ.com to do so, too. We have been against this practice, not just because of the risk of libel and defamation, but also because 'black lists' are often too simplistic.

If you like, please forward the message you received (IIRC you have my e-mail address - if not, drop me a line via my profile); I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I know many agencies in this list Jun 17, 2006

Hello Angio,
and all of them have paid me /us. those who havenĀ“t paid were not on the list. I find that funny. I have also found a few agencies that I know as good and long term friends of mine, including a few translators active as agencies. It seems to be some colleaction of a list. Whoever it was that sent you the list did really work. I hope the others have also recd. this list. Sounds bogus. Best Brandis

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes of course there are many competent moderators Jun 17, 2006

Ralf Lemster wroteHi all,
Thanks for the compliments - but please do remember that there's an entire team of Jobs/BB moderators working 'behind the scenes' of the Jobs area, and the Blue Board. None of us could do that job alone, and we in turn rely on the support of ProZ.com members and users (who are often our 'eyes and ears')

And I HAD SEVERAL PROOFS, I just would like your advice because this is your forum, and you seem very competent in money matters

Best

Angioletta

[Edited at 2006-06-17 21:59]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:45
French to English
Bogus blacklist? Jun 17, 2006

If indeed it truly should prove to be "bogus blacklist" (as brandis put it!), perhaps it would be worth (with the moderators' permission, since this is a sensitive area) actually mentioning it by name just this once. The way I see it, this would be a positive move, since it would be a pity for translators to decline work and decent agencies to be shunned as a result of names appearing on it. Just an idea...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Looks suspicious to me Jun 18, 2006

Thanks Angioletta for forwarding the message.

Looking at the list (and the associated website), it looks as if the person(s) behind that site simply 'recycle' data available from various translation portals (including ProZ.com), and then try to sell it for a profit. Nice business model - if you can get away with it...

For various reasons, the portal should not be referred to in the forum.

Best regards,
Ralf

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course, and thanks Jun 18, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:For various reasons, the portal should not be referred to in the forum.

Best regards,
Ralf

Yes of course, thanks for checking it and for your opinion.

Have a nice Sunday

Angioletta

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Received a strange blacklist

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »