Thread poster: Emmanuelle Hingant

Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
English to French
Jun 23, 2006

Hi,

I’m just asking for advice here.

On May 2nd (Tuesday), I received an email from someone saying he was a translator and who wanted to outsource a 10,000-word project in the software field. The deadline was Saturday May 6th EOD.

I didn’t know that translator, I just had his name (probably a fake name, he doesn’t appear on Proz or on the Internet) and his email address, no “real” address. So I asked him where he found me (on Proz he said) and asked for his mailing address and phone number and said I would be able to do the work for him. I asked for a PO but he said that as he was a translator he wouldn’t usually issue POs (!) and that the company for which he was working wouldn’t be too happy if they knew he had sent the PO to someone else.

So well, I took the risk of working for that person, even though I didn’t have any contact details. I asked him his details again the next day and before sending the files as well.

Of course, I sent the files the Saturday afternoon and since then, no news. I sent the invoice on May 12th (the Friday after) for 860 Euros and nothing. He is not answering my emails. We had agreed on a 30-day payment. I told myself I would let the 30 days go and then remind him. That’s what I did on June 12th. Nothing. Every day since June 12th, I’ve been sending him emails (that’s the only thing I can do) and nothing. No absence message, no email, nothing.

I know I shouldn’t have taken the risk to work for someone who doesn’t give any details. I knew it before doing it but I did it anyway. I should have been more careful, that’s for sure. But what’s done is done. And don’t feel sorry for me, I knew I was taking risks as well.

Now, I just need to know what to do (if anything can be done). I make my emails increasingly colder. The first ones with “please answer...”, now “answer ASAP”. In the files he sent me, I have the name of the company for which the file were destined (provided this is not a fake name, but the company really exists). I was thinking about calling that company. He actually had told me in an email not to call the company directly as they didn’t know he wasn’t doing the job himself. Do you think that could be a good idea to call the company? How can I introduce the problem? Should I ask for the person in charge of the translation?

I would need help now because if I call the company, I want to do it right the first time and not to have to call many times or to screw it basically. Is there any legal action I could take?

Thank you very much for your advice. I don’t want to name names on that thread. But if any moderator could contact me so that I could give them the name of that person, maybe some research can be done on him. Otherwise, do not hesitate to contact me directly to know the name of that person, maybe you've already dealt with him (even though I think he gave me a fake name on a yahoo.co.uk address).

Emma

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:05
English to German
+ ...
You can contact me Jun 23, 2006

Hi Emmanuelle,
Thank you very much for your advice. I don’t want to name names on that thread.

Thank you - in fact, there is a forum rule against discussing specific outsourcers.

But if any moderator could contact me so that I could give them the name of that person, maybe some research can be done on him.

I will contact you through your profile.

Best regards,
Ralf

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for advice about potential fake translator not paying

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs