Price of laptop - Europe (Spain) vs US
Thread poster: Sheilann
sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 19:38
English to French
+ ...
Plug adapters may be hard to find Jun 24, 2006

When I travel to the old country all I get is the last part of the cord, the part that connects into the adapter on one end, and plugs into the wall outlet on the other end. Those are easier to find than plug converters, less clumsy too.

On another note, why don't you spend a couple weeks in the US, say, once a year? It's tax-deductible as you need regular immersion into your working language, and that would solve your
... See more
When I travel to the old country all I get is the last part of the cord, the part that connects into the adapter on one end, and plugs into the wall outlet on the other end. Those are easier to find than plug converters, less clumsy too.

On another note, why don't you spend a couple weeks in the US, say, once a year? It's tax-deductible as you need regular immersion into your working language, and that would solve your shipping problem.

Think about it!
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 21:38
English to Russian
+ ...
For international shipping Jun 24, 2006

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ARLO80/ref=dp_olp_2/104-9295279-9337524?ie=UTF8

Many useful links from this page, including international shipping rates.

Also... See more
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ARLO80/ref=dp_olp_2/104-9295279-9337524?ie=UTF8

Many useful links from this page, including international shipping rates.

Also

http://www.ubid.com/Computers_Office/c1.html
I know people who bought stuff from here and have not heard any bad feedback.
Collapse

slabejka
slabejka
Local time: 04:38
Slovak to English
VAT? Jun 25, 2006

Patricia Lane wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

A important point of view is that if you buy it in the country where you are resident, you can , at least easier, declare it as "working tool" in your income tax.

In USA prices are without VAT in Europe with VAT!

Regards

You can as well by declaring it at customs yourself and paying VAT (say if you came back from the US with a computer) or customs will bill you for it if it is shipped over (in which case VAT will be on purchase price+shipping costs+insurance costs).

Patricia

While it's true that US prices are always listed VAT exclusive, VAT is a relative term in the US, the issue here is sales tax and US sales tax (depending on location) is not nearly as hideous as European VAT - I paid 7% sales tax on my laptop as opposed to the 19% VAT I would have paid in Slovakia! I still saved several hundred dollars over what I would have paid in Slovakia

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:38
French to English
+ ...
Sales tax + VAT Jun 25, 2006

Let's not get confused here --
paying sales tax in the US does NOT liberate you from paying VAT in Europe if you are either bringing back or having a purchased shipped over, especially if you want to be able to claim it as a legit business expense!

slabejka wrote:

Patricia Lane wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

A important point of view is that if you buy it in the country where you are resident, you can , at least easier, declare it as "working tool" in your income tax.

In USA prices are without VAT in Europe with VAT!

Regards

You can as well by declaring it at customs yourself and paying VAT (say if you came back from the US with a computer) or customs will bill you for it if it is shipped over (in which case VAT will be on purchase price+shipping costs+insurance costs).

Patricia

While it's true that US prices are always listed VAT exclusive, VAT is a relative term in the US, the issue here is sales tax and US sales tax (depending on location) is not nearly as hideous as European VAT - I paid 7% sales tax on my laptop as opposed to the 19% VAT I would have paid in Slovakia! I still saved several hundred dollars over what I would have paid in Slovakia

Abe4
Abe4
English
my laptop Oct 31, 2006

Hi, few months ago i bought a laptop of DELL. Its not that much costly and at the same time its working fine.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price of laptop - Europe (Spain) vs US

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »