Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Price of laptop - Europe (Spain) vs US
Thread poster: Sheilann
Sheilann  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
Jun 23, 2006

As matter of curiosity, how much does a laptop cost in US (more precisely, Miami)? I know there are problems with voltage conversion, but I have heard these have been overcome. Can anyone give me more details?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
Local time: 13:47
English to French
+ ...
try websites Jun 24, 2006

It depends on the laptop, you should try bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com.

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 15:47
English to Russian
+ ...
No voltage problems Jun 24, 2006

Laptops come with converters in a power cable assembly. All you need in Europe is a plug adapter flat-to-round, under 10 dollars.

It's possible to find a laptop with quite satisfactory parameters for 600-700 dollars (dell.com for one), and a very decent one with good size screen within $900-1200.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Probably not significant Jun 24, 2006

Since we are dealing with developed countries here, I would think there would be no particular price advantages from one to another, but it would be best for several reasons to buy a locally marketed product, including warranty, service, support, accesories, localized software, not to mention electric current.

I'm sure you can find greater differences in price right where you are in Spain than between different countries. But that is all stuff you can check out on the Net.

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:47
Partial member (2004)
Italian to English
I buy all my electronics in the US Jun 24, 2006

I've bought all my electronics in the US (including my Gateway laptop) because of the advantageous Euro-Dollar exchange. I can only speak for Italy, but electronics generally cost less in the US, and if you add the exchange rate issue, the cost goes way down. And my service warranty was covered in Europe. Of course it depends if most of your earnings are in Euros or Dollars-
I even brought back my printer as a carry-on last year, and I'm considering buying a desktop computer in the US this year.

Jennifer

Sheilann  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone Jun 24, 2006

Thakn you all for your helpful replies. Each one contributed a different perspective and Jennifer corroborated what I had already thought.
Somehow, I'm not too convinced about the voltage; I thought it was 110 in US and 220 in Europe. So a transformer would also be necessary.
Thanks again.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I also buy all my electronics in the US Jun 24, 2006

I agree with Jennifer. I also buy all my electronics in the US.

As a matter of fact, I ordered my last printer from BestBuy.com on-line and had it delivered to an outfit in Miami that has a package service (air and sea) to Suriname.

It worked like a charm and the customs duties were quite reasonable. Within about a week or so, I had it in my house. I still came out a lot cheaper than if I had bought it locally.

I am not sure how it works to mail it to Europe. Perhaps another colleague might shed some light on this. Or otherwise, couple a US vacation to it. You deserve it.

Chao,
Lucinda

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
some caution is advised though Jun 24, 2006

Hello all,

I too for years bought my computers in the US, because of cost, the keyboard, as well as for features available often earlier in the US than in Europe.

All was fine until the last one, which ended up defective. And though my warranty was indeed international, it took 6 months of phone calls, faxes, and filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for the exchange to take place.

And a year later, the new one broke down. I took it to the authorized service center in France (where the warranty worked) but then they couldn't fix it because they needed to replace the motherboard -- and they could not manage to get the motherboard from the US.

Of course, much of this depends on good luck (breakdown or not), type of repair needed, and the manufacturer in question.

I know I am probably not allowed to name names here, but I had great service and support from a three letter company starting with N and my nightmare from a seven letter company starting with T. Unfortunately, I still miss that company's laptop: 3 years later, its features were still cutting edge state of the art - so much so newer models don't have them - and only one unit in Europe is comparable, but at about 2.5 times the cost.

One small piece of advice if you do want to order from the US, buy directly from the manufactuer, not a reseller, in order to avoid the typical buck passing between the two in case of problems.

Cheers!

Patricia

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 15:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Nah!:-) Jun 24, 2006

Sheilann wrote:

Somehow, I'm not too convinced about the voltage; I thought it was 110 in US and 220 in Europe. So a transformer would also be necessary.

True about 110/220, but laptops don''t care. I travelled with my US Dell first and Gateway second all the way to Russia and to 6 EU countries in between, so I know:-). Remember that box in the middle of a 2-piece cable that comes with every laptop? This s your transformer. BTW, same goes for all mobile phones - all you need is the same mechanical plug adapter and your regular charger.

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I can't find a US company willing to ship outside the US! Jun 24, 2006

I'm about to buy a new laptop and was thinking about buying in the US (the model I want is not available in the UK or Europe), but have been unable to find any company willing to ship outside the US.

Thin includes sites previously mentioned on this post such as circuit.city, bestbuy.com and Sony - the computer manufacturer.

If anyone know of any company which provides shipping to either the UK or Italy please let me know!

Many thanks!

Ivana

[Edited at 2006-06-24 13:14]

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Really no problem for laptop Jun 24, 2006

Sheilann wrote: Somehow, I'm not too convinced about the voltage; I thought it was 110 in US and 220 in Europe. So a transformer would also be necessary.

The step-down/step-up module always forms part of the laptop's power supply, normally the "black box" in the middle of the cable assembly, so all you need is the plug adapter. My European laptop works perfectly in the USA (and the rest of the world), and my North American friends who come to visit Europe have no problems with their laptops. But that's the way laptops are designed in the first place - to work the world over, irrespective of the voltage. If they didn't, global business, media, etc. would grind to a halt. The real problems start when it comes to peripherals like printers...

Robin

pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
read the label Jun 24, 2006

IreneN wrote:

BTW, same goes for all mobile phones - all you need is the same mechanical plug adapter and your regular charger.

that is true of the better phones and may vary by market. wife's Nokia 3100, an entry-level phone, had a charger that was rated just 220-240V and even my midrange Siemens M65 came with a 220-240 v/50-60 MHz charger. better check the small print on your charger.
BTW, who has 220-240V with 60MHz?

France
French to English
+ ...
difficult... Jun 24, 2006

Ivana Micheli wrote:

I'm about to buy a new laptop and was thinking about buying in the US (the model I want is not available in the UK or Europe), but have been unable to find any company willing to ship outside the US.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any (i am not sure if it is possible without an intermediary -- friend, shipping company etc..). The reasons are numerous: export controls over technology, manufacturer restrictions, and voiding of guarantees when bought for export (an international warranty for ex will cover a US registered computer when on travel abroad, but if you live abroad, it gets a bit harder to get that international coverage to work sometimes).

I bought mine during trips to the US but made it a point to declare it at customs and pay VAT upon return -- not only to never get stuck during travels at customs in the future but also to be able to claim it as a legitimate business expense.

Maybe someone on the board could be the interface for you?

Patricia

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
It was never a problem Jun 24, 2006

Sheilann wrote:

Thakn you all for your helpful replies. Each one contributed a different perspective and Jennifer corroborated what I had already thought.
Thanks again.

the voltage.

You can use a laptop anywhere in the world, you may need a plug adapter in some country but nothing more. The transformer allows always a big range of voltage.

A important point of view is that if you buy it in the country where you are resident, you can , at least easier, declare it as "working tool" in your income tax.

In USA prices are without VAT in Europe with VAT!

Regards

France
French to English
+ ...
vat Jun 24, 2006

Fernando Toledo wrote:

A important point of view is that if you buy it in the country where you are resident, you can , at least easier, declare it as "working tool" in your income tax.

In USA prices are without VAT in Europe with VAT!

Regards

You can as well by declaring it at customs yourself and paying VAT (say if you came back from the US with a computer) or customs will bill you for it if it is shipped over (in which case VAT will be on purchase price+shipping costs+insurance costs).

Patricia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price of laptop - Europe (Spain) vs US

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs