Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
this is a freaky idea, Marius... Jun 26, 2006

MariusV wrote:
More important would be the prestige and kind of trust in proz - decent translators will know that freaks cannot make jokes here, and freaks will know that better not to meddle with proz if you have an "advance intention" to cheat someone...

And I like it very much

Susana

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:51
English to Hindi
+ ...
Letter of Credit etc Jun 26, 2006

I don't know if ProZ would like to get involved here...as an idea it is an interesting one.

Letter of credit is one way... but there would be others too though I haven't used them. Escrow could be another and I think Moneybookers offers such a system...

Does paypal offer it too?

Roomy

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:21
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is just an idea (yet), and not "panacea" :) Jun 26, 2006

Hi Ralph,

Yes, I am aware of ProZ.com Termination Policy.

I would like to emphasize that all this (as for the moment) is more or less a “raw idea“ and it was, actually, the main reason why it was posted here to hear the opinions („for“ and „against“ of other people), and putting all these together, to investigate its feasibility on a realistic level.

Well, we do not live in an ideal world and there cannot be kind of a "panacea". Freaks and che
... See more
Hi Ralph,

Yes, I am aware of ProZ.com Termination Policy.

I would like to emphasize that all this (as for the moment) is more or less a “raw idea“ and it was, actually, the main reason why it was posted here to hear the opinions („for“ and „against“ of other people), and putting all these together, to investigate its feasibility on a realistic level.

Well, we do not live in an ideal world and there cannot be kind of a "panacea". Freaks and cheaters will not fly to another planet – they existed, exist, and will exists in all areas, icl. translation business.

But, we can consider TRYING to REDUCE such and similar cases. There is a BB, a lot of work is done by mods I think to filter the outsourcers as much as it is possible at "input" stage". Why not add one more filter in the "output stage" - even if someone manages to creep in as a "decent one", it will be more difficult to "creep out"?

Well, what regards those „collectors“, I think it should be a separate "technical topic". There are any differences in laws, ways of thinking, etc. between the countries. People are also different. People see things from different angles. Let‘s investigate who could play the role of the "collectors or helpers"...Well, is someone from abroad (my colleague translator) would ask for help with some "ghostly" outsourcer from my country, I can even help on a friendly basis - to collect the official information, do other things. BUT I cannot officially "represent" that friend from the legal point of view. The freaks will ask a simple question „Who are you?“ (in the legal sense) and „What right do you have to claim anything from us - we do not owe you anything and those money matters with that person is not your problem". Yet another thing would be being able to say "Well, sorry, but from now I AM your problem – I have all legal authorization”.

So, many more things to decide and discuss. Let‘s continue.

Regards,
Marius

[Edited at 2006-06-26 20:07]
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:21
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
any further considerations? Jul 15, 2006

Hi,

Just popped in into the Forum. Does anyone have any further wish to discuss about the "technical feasibility" of that idea?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection: establish a network of local debt collectors

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »