Mobile menu

Helping with unpaid translation invoices!!! Do you think this might be true?
Thread poster: Henrik Pipoyan

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Jul 3, 2006

Recently I received such an e-mail, see below:

============================

Hello.

Do you have lot of unpaid invoices that clients are unwilling to pay? The translation business is tough and competitive one, but it is a lot tougher when clients don't pay invoices. Take a look at ... where you can submit unpaid invoices for free debt collection. You don't pay any start-up fee or start-up percentage. The recovered money is sent directly to you, not to Debta. 84% of the invoices Debta sends out for collection are paid within 30-60 days. Just the act of involving a third party can be enough to make debtors pay.

You work hard to earn your money. Let us work to collect it for you.

Best regards

Patrik Albertsson
Debt Collector

Debta - International Debt Collection

============================

Has anyone heard about them? I wonder if this is not one of the bad tricks. Though I don’t see anything in this message that could be used against me, I am a bit concerned that the service is free. Is it possible that they might be building a site and sending such messages only for verifying operational e-mail addresses, for selling them or sending spam?

[Edited at 2006-07-03 09:14]

[Edited at 2006-07-03 10:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:56
English to Greek
+ ...
Of course it's not FREE Jul 3, 2006

Dear Henrik,

If you take the time to read their terms you will see:

12. CHARGES

The client agrees to pay Debta its full commission of 10% on accounts collected.

One more of these misleading e-mails. Such companies know that most clients - unfortunately - do not take the time to read the terms and conditions of cooperation.

Nadia

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:56
English to German
+ ...
Use the forum search Jul 3, 2006

Hi Henrik,

Has anyone heard about them?

Yes.

May I suggest to use the forum search for earlier discussions about Debta, in particular, this one.

Also, would you mind editing your post by removing e-mail address details and the link to the company's website?

Best regards,
Ralf

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 22:56
Turkish to English
+ ...
I was not impressed with them Jul 3, 2006

In theory I think it is a good thing. I don't see what you have to lose from sending them unpaid invoices - the worst that can happen is you don't get paid, and you are in that situation anyway. I don't think that a 10% commission is unreasonable, either, given that you pay nothing if they don't collect.
However, I tried out this service some time ago. I sent an unpaid invoice, they sent me a cc of their e-mail to the debtor, and I never heard any more about it. Based on this experience, I personally would not bother sending another unpaid invoice to them.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true Jul 3, 2006

90 cents on a dollar? That's what I get charged using cash machines... btw, the site (no name mentioned, Ralf) has been suspended.

About those 5 agencies ... I assume their average BB score is 1 (ng)?

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-07-03 10:27]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free as in "no upfront fees" Jul 3, 2006

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:
I am a bit concerned that the service is free.

You get two types of debt collectors -- those that charge an upfront fee and those that don't. Both types usually also charge commission on the amount recovered (up to 30% is not unusual). I would have interpreted this e-mail you received as saying that there are no upfront fees and that you only pay the debt collector if you actually get something back from the client. There is nothing unethical about this.

That said, it might be worth your while to read their terms of service carefully.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
I don't think you can say they are being evasive about their charges. Jul 3, 2006

I know nothing about this company, but I managed to find its present website (after finding the previous one suspended) and the 10% collection charge is not only in the terms and conditions, it is also given as a reply under "FAQ":

Do you charge anything?

Yes, we will deduct 10% from your original invoices. The debtor will send 90% of the amount to you and 10% of it to us.

But the suspension of the website certainly looks suspicious.

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 3, 2006

Thank you for your input. Vito is right “If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true”, but it turns out that it’s not that good, so it might be true.

And sorry for posting this question without checking the forum.

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
English to Hungarian
+ ...
That's not all.... Jul 8, 2006

Tim Drayton wrote:

I don't see what you have to lose from sending them unpaid invoices - the worst that can happen is you don't get paid, and you are in that situation anyway.

However, I tried out this service some time ago. I sent an unpaid invoice, they sent me a cc of their e-mail to the debtor, and I never heard any more about it.

You described an even worse situation, without realising it.

1. You send them the invoice.
2. They send an e-mail to the debtor and a cc to you.
3. The debtor gets cold feet and pays up to them.
4. You never hear any more about it.

Ugh!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Helping with unpaid translation invoices!!! Do you think this might be true?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs