Thread poster: Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2002

A recent profile (http://www.proz.com/pro/38217)

bears this line:

\"We are dirty cheap right now because of the exchange rate of Argentina, which favours exports of any kind.\"

I don\'t want to get into the rates discussion again, but, without even considering the effect it has on the market, I find the statement rather depressing. Has dignity also been
... See more
A recent profile (http://www.proz.com/pro/38217)

bears this line:

\"We are dirty cheap right now because of the exchange rate of Argentina, which favours exports of any kind.\"

I don\'t want to get into the rates discussion again, but, without even considering the effect it has on the market, I find the statement rather depressing. Has dignity also been exported?

Frankly, I can\'t consider this person a colleague; on the contrary, I think this kind of statement is offensive to us all.

Best regards,

Patricia

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:27
SITE FOUNDER
Money matters Sep 13, 2002

This posting belongs in money matters.

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Sep 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-13 12:57, Henry wrote:

This posting belongs in money matters.

Hi Henry!

Actually I wasn\'t thinking about money, but it\'s OK.

Hugs,

Patricia

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quality that speaks for itself Sep 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-13 12:48, p_lutteral wrote:

...I think this kind of statement is offensive to us all.

I think the slogan \"we are dirty cheap\" speaks for itself. In attempting to say \"we are dirt cheap\" (somos baratísimos, regalados) - an expression that means \"tan barato como el suelo/la tierra\", the slogan has instead ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-09-13 12:48, p_lutteral wrote:

...I think this kind of statement is offensive to us all.

I think the slogan \"we are dirty cheap\" speaks for itself. In attempting to say \"we are dirt cheap\" (somos baratísimos, regalados) - an expression that means \"tan barato como el suelo/la tierra\", the slogan has instead said \"somos asquerosamente baratos\" - a single misplaced letter made the difference.

A question that has been asked time and again: Has a dirt-cheap translator any chance to become filthy rich?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-23 17:05 ]Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seen in profile: \'We are dirty cheap right now\'

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »