Standby rate for an agency
Thread poster: Colette Kinsella
Colette Kinsella
Colette Kinsella
Ireland
Local time: 11:10
German to English
Jul 10, 2006

Another question on charging agencies: i got a query from an agency looking for my "standby rate". Has anybody out there experienced this, and what would one generally charge?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:10
English to French
+ ...
I have Jul 10, 2006

With only one client, I did charge a standby rate. Upon recommendation from the client, I charged my hourly translation rate. Yes, I know, it sounds great

However, I don't think most clients would be willing to pay that much. I would say go with what you think represents the value of your standby best. For instance, if you have to be on standby on the weekend, it really is robbing you time off that you could have sp
... See more
With only one client, I did charge a standby rate. Upon recommendation from the client, I charged my hourly translation rate. Yes, I know, it sounds great

However, I don't think most clients would be willing to pay that much. I would say go with what you think represents the value of your standby best. For instance, if you have to be on standby on the weekend, it really is robbing you time off that you could have spent going camping. See how much not being able to go camping is worth to you. If you have to be on standby during supper, that also sucks and it's up to you to see how much money missing supper with your family is worth to you. I know, it's pretty insane to put a monetary value on such personal and yet essential things, but hey, someone is willing to pay for it, might as well figure it out.

I am beginning to think that the best solution is to have a rate scheme set up for this. Something along the lines of X on weekdays during office hours, X + 20% on weekdays afterhours, X + 50% on weekends and so forth. You also may want to establish the days/hours when you will not at all be available for work, no matter how much they are willing to pay for it. I would not want to be waken up at 5 in the morning for a 300-word assignment...

All the best!
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 13:10
English to Russian
I do that Jul 11, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote: Something along the lines of X on weekdays during office hours, X + 20% on weekdays afterhours, X + 50% on weekends and so forth.

I do that for direct clients, call it "booked time'.
A lot of fun (if you have a notebook and a mobile internet connection).
Stay well
Aleksandr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Standby rate for an agency

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »