Opening an account abroad
Thread poster: Silvia Gentili

Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:54
English to Spanish
Jul 18, 2006

Hello everybody

I am trying to open a savings account in Spain (I am from Argentina) for the translation agencies I work for in Europe make the deposit in that account. I was advised to open that account in Santander Bank. I contacted the bank and they cleared all my doubts and I think that bank meets all my requirements. However I would like to hear some opinions of people from Argentina who have an account opened in that bank or others and how they work. Is quite difficult to make money withdrawals in Argentina? etc

Thank you much
Regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
one piece of advice Jul 18, 2006

Make sure you open the account as a non-resident account, so that you are not subject to tax withholding. This should be obvious seeing you live abroad, but you can never be too sure with banks (speaking from experience...).

These links may be of interest to you:

http://www.majesticspain.com/majestic_living_spanish_banks.htm
On resident's accounts the bank will retain 18% of any interest earned on deposits. All banks will prepare an end of year statement giving your average annual balance, which is necessary should you need to make a Wealth Tax Declaration

http://www.easyexpat.com/madrid_en/practical_bank.htm
Non-resident account
If you don't have a NIE or come from a foreign country, you can still hold a bank account in euros or foreign currency. You will have to show a valid passport and the ID number of your original country. If you acquire resident status any time after opening the account, you must notify the bank and give them your NIE (the fees for a non-resident account are usually 15€ and it's free for a resident account).

And here's a related query:

http://www.proz.com/topic/41610

Best luck,

Susana

[Edited at 2006-07-18 04:20]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:54
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Concerning the bank in question... Jul 18, 2006

I have an account with them, which I operate exclusively online, and I am very happy with the Santander bank.

Astrid

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Withdrawals Jul 18, 2006

I live in Cordoba and have an account in Madrid with Santander.

My experience with them is excellent; only once did I have a problem, but I called the bank's customer service and the next morning the problem was solved.

And I withdraw money from the nearest ATM

Best regards,

Patricia

Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Opening an account abroad Jul 18, 2006

Hi everybody.
Thank you very much for your fast answer and accurate information about my request.
Regards to everybody
Silvia Gentili

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening an account abroad

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs