Mobile menu

waiting 4 months for the big bucks - commonplace in France?
Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:23
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2002

Contacted recently by a well-known French agency for a sub-contract job for a Spanish agency. Spanish to English, software/techo/finance. Voluminous job for a team of 5 translators working for 2 months straight.

Sounds like a dream job, verdad? You could live off that income for the next 2 months and buy yourself a week\'s vacation to Mallorca to boot! Or at least buy yourself one of those cool 2GB super-duper machines since your 233-MHz piece of rickety crap should be jettisoned once and for all.

Here\'s the catch: commitment for 2 months so I assume little to no time for other jobs or other sources of income, EUR 0.061 per source word, payment in 60 days after invoicing. My proposal of 10 EUR cents and incremental staggered payments every 2 weeks were nonchalantly rebuffed: \"Il est vrai que c\'est un tarif au ras du marché mais malheureusement les clients espagnol paient encore moins qu\'en France\".

Bristling sarcasm was just below the surface of my politely written refusal. I would\'ve couched it with more scorn had I not contained my typing fingers. What chutzpah to ask a person to work for 2 months with few to little opportunity of remuneration from other sources and wait again for an additional 2 months for the mulah to come.

I\'ve long ago renounced working with agencies from certain (here unnamed) countries for purely selfish reasons.

Is this normal practice in France? I\'m aware rates are low there (and in Spain) but are these terms acceptable? The agency seems to be thriving so I guess there are many colleagues who accept their miserly conditions.

Is this nasty niggardliness or common practice?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

waiting 4 months for the big bucks - commonplace in France?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs