Mobile menu

Off topic: Getting paid
Thread poster: Dimitri Van Vossel
Dimitri Van Vossel
Local time: 06:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2006

This is not so much a question, but rather a promise. I've been visiting Proz.com daily since I got my job in Italy and have worked on 5-6 translation assignments through Proz. We're now approaching the 'magical' 30-days-after-invoice boundary and I promise that, if I get paid for 80% of the assignments I've worked on (and am working on right now), I will become a member...It's true that translating these smaller assignments has been fun and it has taught me a lot, but there's just this gnawing on my brain, a kind of scepsis if you will Keep your fingers crossed!

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Getting wealthy Jul 23, 2006

This post might be controversial but since you are a new to the business:

Did you sign POs stating 30 days net?
Did you issue invoices stating 30 days net?

In both cases, expect to be paid withins 60 days. After that period harass your clients.

Old clients: start sending e-mails.

New clients and old clients who don't respond to your e-mails: call them daily and ask anyone who picks up the phone if the business has gone bankrupt.

You'll get paid, but don't vow on a precise term.

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2006-07-23 17:57]

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Why give clients that leeway, Gerard? Jul 24, 2006

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Did you sign POs stating 30 days net?
Did you issue invoices stating 30 days net?

In both cases, expect to be paid withins 60 days. After that period harass your clients.

Hi Gerard,

You should start chasing your clients after the 30-day period has elapsed. Otherwise you'd provide them with another big (and long) opportunity to come up with all possible excuses. In addition, you'd grant them a non-interest bearing loan for this extra period. Not viable at all from a business point of view - we all have to pay our monthly dues, haven't we? This has to be reflected in our income stream if we want to be successful in the long run.

By contrast, and that's what I ALWAYS do (although it may sound obvious), you should issue your invoice as soon as your client received the job - or even send the invoice together with the assignment - in order to accelerate the process.

Also, my experience regarding payment practices tells me otherwise - most, if not all, of my clients with a term of 30 days net pay within that period (or just a few days late). Perhaps just a question of different market segments?

Regards,
Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting paid

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs