Payment for newbies in UK
Thread poster: Anne Zielisch MCIL
Anne Zielisch MCIL
Anne Zielisch MCIL
Local time: 18:48
English to German
Jul 27, 2006

I have just been offered a temporary full-time translation job but still need to discuss money. What do you think would be a reasonable monthly or annual UK salary? Translations at that company are mainly of a technical nature. Thanks for any advice given!

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the area Jul 28, 2006

It really depends on the area in which the company is based.

If the company is based in London, you can expect something between £18 - £22 K per annum (if it's the lower or higher end of this range, depends on the size of the company, its standing in the business, internal salary structures, etc.).

If the company is based somewhere else in the UK, you can expect something in the region of £14 - £18 K (not much, I know, but that's the way it is).

It also
... See more
It really depends on the area in which the company is based.

If the company is based in London, you can expect something between £18 - £22 K per annum (if it's the lower or higher end of this range, depends on the size of the company, its standing in the business, internal salary structures, etc.).

If the company is based somewhere else in the UK, you can expect something in the region of £14 - £18 K (not much, I know, but that's the way it is).

It also depends on how technical the translations are. If we are talking printer or air-conditioning unit manuals, it will not make any difference money-wise. However, if the translations are of a very technical nature and you actually need an engineering diploma or the like to translate the texts, the salary should be at the top end of the ranges above, possibly more. However, this is unlikely as these jobs normally are no temporary jobs and often there is a basic salary according to the amounts mentioned, with an additional bonus scheme.

Good luck!

Ingo
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your needs Jul 28, 2006

....so that you know.....with those salaries mentioned you can only get a room in a flat share.......you should aim for something closer to 30K....specially if it is technical....
Good luck.

Anne Zielisch MCIL
Anne Zielisch MCIL
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jul 28, 2006

Unfortunately Ingo seems to be right...I'd like to ask for more, but I'm not in a position to do so. Considering that this is less than what I earned in my office job, where I hardly used my brain at all, it's quite bizarre and I wonder how people can support a family on this. Well, I still share a house, and hopefully this job will give me the experience I need in order to be able increase my rates in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment for newbies in UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »