Mobile menu

Setting up a free PayPal account
Thread poster: Josefine Stark
Josefine Stark  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:24
English to German
+ ...
Jul 30, 2006

Has anyone of you recently tried to set up a free PayPal account via Proz.com? As the method described in No. 2 of the FAQ's with the heading "Profile Page" does not work - there is no site http://www.x.com -, I just entered my professional e-mail-address into the box PayPal payments (or so) on my profile page. Is this sufficient to set up the account?

Second question: let's suppose I have a free PayPal account now. How do I transfer the money received in my e-mail-box on one of my accounts?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

jokerman
Germany
English to German
+ ...
easiest way Jul 30, 2006

1. can'r really tell you what the story is with setting up a paypal acoount through proz.com, but to set up a free paypal account, simply go to the paypal page and register there. it takes 5 minutes and you can't do any wrong there really.

2. To transfer the money from your paypal account to your bank account, simply click on the "Geld abheben" option in your paypal account, and then "Geld auf Ihr Konto überweisen". Very easy as well.

hth

igor

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:24
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Easy to open the account, NOT so easy to get your money Jul 30, 2006

If you insert a paypal email address in ProZ, you will get notified by paypal if somebody is sending you money, meaning that they invite you to register to receive this amount on your account.

To transfer this amount to your bank account requires a bit of virtual paperwork, including having a credit card number for verification. But, hey, I'm clumsy with paperwork but I managed to do it, so just follow the instructions and do EXACTLY as they tell you to do. Once the account is working and connected to your verified local bank account it's like a hot knife cutting butter!

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 13:24
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Proz doesn't set up Paypal accounts... Jul 31, 2006

they just provide a link to your account once it's setup the same as Moneybookers etc. If you don't register your Paypal account first you will just get an email from them asking you to register and it will really slow things down for you.

I would really advise you to set up your account first and begin proceedings to have your bank account/s verified because once they are verified then you will be able to transfer large amounts of money quickly and easily.

Paypal like Moneybookers and other online payment systems have to be very careful and follow all of the guidelines to safeguard against money laundering so the sooner you get your account registered and verified the better otherwise you may find that you can only withdraw very small amounts.

It may sound daunting but it's really very straightforward. Just follow the instructions step by step and you will be fine:)

Good luck,
Mark

Josefine Stark  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Jul 31, 2006

Thanks a lot for these hints! Now I see which steps I have to take to open a PayPal account.
I just wondered how to install a free PayPal account, and I was not sure if the one offered on the PayPal website was suitable for translators with international assignmets... I conclude from your answers that the PayPal Basis Account is O.K.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
PayPal is not free, AFAIK Aug 2, 2006

Josefine Stark wrote:
Has anyone of you recently tried to set up a free PayPal account via Proz.com?

There is no such thing as a free PayPal account, as far as I know. If anyone offers you a "free" PayPal account, read the fine print carefully.

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
You mean the fees applied? Aug 3, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is no such thing as a free PayPal account, as far as I know. If anyone offers you a "free" PayPal account, read the fine print carefully.

Hi Samuel,

I started using PayPal only recently, but I understand that PayPal does not necessarily charge you to open a PayPal account (unless you use the "Business" option).

Furthermore, they use advertisement that clearly uses the word "free" (see https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/auc/new_ebay_buyer_intro-outside ).

I believe the fees PayPal applies to the transactions then depend on the type of transaction (if it is from non-buisness to business accounts, or viceversa, etc.).

Could you please explain your statement?

Thanks,

Ivette

Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
PayPal conditions to open an account Aug 3, 2006

Hello everybody,
Opening a PayPal account if Free, you only need an email address and registering on the webpage. They earn their money by charging a percentage of the money you receive, but you can send money to anyone having a PayPal account for free.

The conditions for retrieving the money on the account vary from country to country, so I would suggest you check your national page.

One, last thing. They do not guarantee the money in case PayPal bakrupts, so, do not have too much money on the account.
I hope this helps,
regards,
Jose

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How PayPal is not free Aug 4, 2006

ICL wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

I started using PayPal only recently, but I understand that PayPal does not necessarily charge you to open a PayPal account (unless you use the "Business" option).

Well signing up is free, of course, but usage is not. In this sense, most things you sign up for on the internet is "free", including things that cost a lot of money.

PayPal says that you don't pay if you send money, only when you receive money, but that's a fake argument IMO. Here's why: PayPal is not a bank. It is a conduit. The purpose of PayPal is to send money from person A to person B. In totality, therefore, the transfer of money is never free.

What does it matter if PayPal deducts 10% from the money at the point where someone receives it, or if PayPal deducts 5% at both sides where the money is send and received? The recipient gets the same amount no matter who "pays" the transaction charges. The only difference is that you're being fooled into thinking that half of the transaction is free; and the recipient is forced into paying all the fees which would normally have been split between both of you.

Tsk tsk... I find it so strange that many translators would baulk at the notion that if they were to be paid by direct bank transfer or via cheque, that they should carry both their bank and the client's bank charges... but in principle that is exactly what happens when they're getting paid via PayPal.

[Edited at 2006-08-04 17:56]

[Edited at 2006-08-04 17:58]

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some facts about PayPal Aug 7, 2006

Let me start by saying that I don't work for PayPal nor am I investing money in PayPal as a company, so any "positive" comments I make about PayPal have no personal interest.

I don't particularly *trust* PayPal, but I also don't trust banks in general (which could go bankrupt as well any minute or decide to freeze assets, as it has happened in the past in some countries, including one where I lived). In PayPal's case, I simply try not to keep any money in it, just in case it goes suddenly "kaput".

But I think it is worth informing yourself well enough about all possible transaction systems this free market offers and taking advantage of them.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well signing up is free, of course, but usage is not. In this sense, most things you sign up for on the internet is "free", including things that cost a lot of money.

Samuel, your statement above is totally different from your previous statement. It is *a fact* that *opening* AND *maintaining* a (personal) PayPal account is free. Another thing is the fees they charge you to carry out any money transactions through their service. Nobody is being fooled here.

But let me add to this that (in some countries) banks *can* charge to open and maintain an account, plus (in some countries) they can charge you *a lot* for any bank2bank transactions.

Samuel Murray wrote:
I find it so strange that many translators would baulk at the notion that if they were to be paid by direct bank transfer or via cheque, that they should carry both their bank and the client's bank charges... but in principle that is exactly what happens when they're getting paid via PayPal.

Again, you are making a statement that is not accurate. I can prove this to you with facts.

For example, like I said in another thread ( http://www.proz.com/topic/52586 ), in case you make a transaction through PayPal involving an exchange rate, there is a way to get payments where all your payer needs to pay is the exchange rate (which PayPal offers you at a wholesale rate, adding a 2.5% that makes the rate practically equal to the average normal exchange rate a regular bank charges you in many countries). This has been possible within the countries where I and my payer are based.

So obviously it all depends on the countries in which you and your customer/outsourcer are based. It could be a totally different story if in another country cheques or bank2bank fees are a better choice. And it also depends on how long will PayPal *survive* as a money transaction channel (from the comments of other Proz.com colleagues in the forums, it seems PayPal has been around as much as some banks in some countries).

Finally, about the fees involved in the payments between customers/outsourcers and freelancers, I will refer you to the previously mentioned thread ( http://www.proz.com/topic/52586 ). It seems we all can have different ideas about this and it is something that depends on various factors.

Regards,

Ivette

PS: And, by the way, there are things that are also *really* free in the Internet (like some email or PC2PC communication services).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up a free PayPal account

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs