Mobile menu

Fake emails from PayPal received. Be careful!
Thread poster: Francesca Verd

Francesca Verd  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
English to Catalan
+ ...
Jul 31, 2006

In the last few days I've received about 4 fake emails from PayPal requesting that I log on to a link to update my account data and stating that the account would be cancelled if I didn't do so.
The thing is... if you read the link they provide, you see it is a real one, but if you look at the real website it will link to, it has nothing to do with PayPal.
On the other hand, PayPal real emails always address me by my real name. This one address me by my email account or saying "dear member".
They all look very real except for these two things, so be careful.
I checked my PayPal account by entering the web in the usual manner, and everything was OK.

Direct link Reply with quote

Francesca Verd  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
Update Jul 31, 2006

I logged in on PayPal again and found an email address where I could forward the emails I had received. The answer was that the messages did not come from them. They also offered some advice on how to protect myself...

"Lastly, we recommend taking a few steps to protect yourself from identity theft:

1. Download the SafetyBar, a toolbar for Outlook and Outlook Express, which identifies known spoof emails.
2. Get eBay Toolbar with Account Guard which warns you when you're on a potentially fraudulent (spoof) Web site.
3. Sign up for Equifax Credit Alerts for PayPal Users, a program that provides an early warning detection system in the event of identity theft. Find out more by visiting the PayPal Identity Protection Center at
4. Frequently monitor your PayPal account for suspicious activity.

For additional tips please visit the PayPal Security Center at"

Hope it helps.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
One way to tell Jul 31, 2006

Hi Francesca, I have received these fake e-mails in the past as well and PayPal gave me some helpful suggestions:

One way to tell immediately if the e-mail is legitimate, is that PayPal will always address you by your full name. If you want to make sure the message is really from PayPal, don't reply to the e-mail but go directly to their website. And finally, forward the fake e-mails to the address they provide.

English to German
+ ...
thanks Francesca! Aug 1, 2006

Thanks a lot for posting this warning, Francesca.
I too recieved such an e-ail few days ago. Remembering your warning, I sent it to paypal asking them to confirm whether it was from them, the answer came few minutes ago - negative. So, thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fake emails from PayPal received. Be careful!

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs