Thread poster: Mireille K
Mireille K  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:06
French to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2006

Dear Colleagues,

Back in May I did a job for a translation company in France, they contacted via my profile, the BB seemed ok. I sent the invoice (with bank details) with the job, and waited.....
For the past 3 weeks I have been asking for my money, at first they did not respond. I kept writing, finally the "accountant" asked for the invoice again, I sent again.
Waited again, no response.
I wrote again, he wrote back saying he was confused because my account was in the US!!, it will cost them more to wire the money. I wrote back saying I accept paypal and moneybookers, and this is the response I get from him today:
"give me only the adress of your bank in USA and I will a wiretransfer in USD.I cannot use paypal because frenchgovernment dont accept this mode and I have to pay a lot of taxes if I use this."

At this point, I am sure he does not want to pay, what do you think?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Florence B  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
No problem with Paypal in France Aug 5, 2006

I'm using Paypal regularly and I'm in France.
Their French website is, and it is perfectly legal.
The only added tax can be Paypal fees - nothing else.

Obviously that's a (lame) excuse.

xxxPFB  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Oddie Aug 6, 2006

PayPal is legal here in France and works well. Your client should have no problem using it.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:06
French to English
Perhaps... Aug 6, 2006

... what your client means is that the audit trail for paypal payments is not thorough enough to meet French statutory accounting requirements for companies?

Or perhaps, like me, he doesn't trust paypal

Maybe both? In any event, although I agree that waiting since May is a long time, I'd give him your US bank details and see what happens....

Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Suggestion Aug 6, 2006

Hi All
May i am not belonging to your lang. pair, but i am from Egypt and the same situation happened with me, and they asked for the bank details and sent them these details for NSGB bank, where my account at, but he refused to send at this bank as he says the it must be a bank with a corresponding one in the USA, although i received two payments from the USA wired to my NSGB previously.
So, i decided to solve the problem, or to walk with him to say what will be his behavior, where i proposed Western Union by subtracting the transfer of money through WU from my due fees, for sorry he done and subtracted $50 form a total of $600. i think he had to solve the problem not me.
I propose to try Western Union.

Sorry for elongation

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Western Union Aug 7, 2006

Well, that's another option... I'm not so sure about the charges but it's perfectly legal...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal in France

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs