https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/52856-should_i_charge_more_per_word_for_software_localization.html

Should I charge more per word for software localization?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 8, 2006

This may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.
I have recently translated software with the aid of a special localization program. To my feeling, if I apply my regular rate per word, there just isn't enough 'turnover' at the end of the day. Is there a more experienced colleague who can tell me whether there is a higher rate to be applied for software localization? Would much appreciate.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Charge more Aug 8, 2006

You should definitely charge much more for the localization of software strings than for "regular text", since, as you discovered, translating source code strings takes longer than translating, for example, documentation.

For the same reason, Power point presentations should also be charged at a higer rate.

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any indication how much more? Aug 8, 2006

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
You should definitely charge much more for the localization of software strings than for "regular text"..

Any indication how much more, percentage-wise? Subjectively I would say 50% more, but that might be unrealistic.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:31
English to French
One of my customers offers me this Aug 8, 2006

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

... I would say 50% more...

and with another, it is about 15% more.

Besides always having to refer to screenshots or surrounding context, I think it also very much depends on the tool you're using.
If you can extract the SW strings from the SW editor to a more user-friendly text editor (such as Word) and reinsert it when you're done, it will save you time (with spelling, browsing, searching, etc).
If the mere task of editing is a nightmare, then you have to take into account the extra time you need compared to translating straight text.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on... Aug 8, 2006

The tool you use to translate the software.

Usually, the programs used to translate software (like Catalyst, for example) require more time to translate, as already commented by Riccardo.

You have to be able to "see" how well your translation will adapt to the menus, dialog boxes, etc.

So at least 30% more than your usual rate (that's what I get).

Saludos,

Ivette

PS: Ooops, I just realized Philippe had already mentione
... See more
The tool you use to translate the software.

Usually, the programs used to translate software (like Catalyst, for example) require more time to translate, as already commented by Riccardo.

You have to be able to "see" how well your translation will adapt to the menus, dialog boxes, etc.

So at least 30% more than your usual rate (that's what I get).

Saludos,

Ivette

PS: Ooops, I just realized Philippe had already mentioned the tool's part. Sorry for the repetition...

[Edited at 2006-08-08 11:29]
Collapse

Ivan Stevanovic
Ivan Stevanovic
Hungary
Hungarian to Serbian
+ ...
Compared to what? Aug 9, 2006

[quote]Philippe Etienne wrote:

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

... I would say 50% more...

and with another, it is about 15% more.

Hi,
Are we talking about localisation at the premises of the Client, or You take it with You?
I usually charge on hourly base with a daily gaurantee of 12.000 characters /day(for 8 hour work) This can be easily achieved, and gives an opportunity to Your client to plan the schedule of localization. Of course, if you manage to complete the daily "load of work" earlier, you can continue-
At the other hand, if You have problems (losing time) You can still "catch up" the next day or working "overtime", which will not be paid more then your 12000 char/8hour daily fee. It seems complicated, but I think that this is the best solution for You and Your Client.
Best Regards,
Ivan Stevanovic

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
I am replying to the question asked Aug 9, 2006

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

indication how much more, percentage-wise? [/quote]

Hi Ivan,
Percentages here are compared to standard text. The software strings are received by email and handled at the usual place of work on a specific tool.
Priatno,
Philippe

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Charge per time and degree of difficulty Aug 9, 2006

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
Is there a more experienced colleague who can tell me whether there is a higher rate to be applied for software localization?

Using a per word rate is merely an easy way to estimate the rate based on the degree of difficulty and the time it'll take to do. Localisation is more difficult and it is likely to take longer to do... therefore you'd be wise to raise your per-word rate.

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Price hike unavoidable Aug 9, 2006

Thanks to all for their helpful comments. I'll carefully inform my clients that a 20% price increase for localization (..sation) is unavoidable and go from there.

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
20% premium accepted Sep 14, 2006

Just to let you know: I have applied a 20% bonus with two regular customers and they have both accepted it. Now the price feels right.
Thanks for the encouraging and helpful comments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I charge more per word for software localization?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »