Thread poster: Dr. Alexandra Berlina

Dr. Alexandra Berlina  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:30
Russian to German
+ ...
Aug 12, 2006

Hello,

does anybody have an idea how much one could ask for a translation of a libretto? It's a low-budget children's opera. The work is fun, and I know that I should not expect much money, but still... 50 pages, complicated rhyme scheme. Thanks for your answers!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-08-12 19:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mariana Font  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
1/3 full price, maybe. Aug 13, 2006

Hi,
I've just translated a script for an amateur drama group, and decided to charged them 1/3 of what the full price (with no discounts whatsoever) would have been. Also, I told them that they would be last in my list of priorities with regards to meeting deadlines, and they agreed (otherwise I could not have afforded the discount).
Hope it helps. Have fun!
Mariana
Ah: my full tarif is 0.08 euro p/word.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
We can't really suggest a specific rate Aug 13, 2006

I would personally suggest, however, that, in the circumstances mentioned, you charge whatever is a "low average" in your language pair. Definitely do not go lower than that, even if it is fun!

Astrid

Dr. Alexandra Berlina  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...but thanks all the same! Aug 14, 2006

Thank you!

The trouble is, I'm talking about poetry, so I would need at least a full day for a page; so even with the full price I would get 1/10 of what I usually gain in the same time...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for translating a libretto

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs