Payment options France>US
Thread poster: Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:14
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2006

What are the options for receiving payment in the US from an agency located in France? What are the pros and cons for each option?

Direct link Reply with quote
DBG  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:14
Member (2002)
French to English
bank transfer Sep 3, 2006

Hello Michele,

I mostly receive payments from Europen clients by bank transfer to my US account and I've never had any problems in several years of using that method.

The client notifies me of the "ordre de virement" and the money usually shows up in my account in several days. My bank-one of the big multinational ones-charges $10, which isn't bad. If I do a number of small jobs for the same client over a few months, I may ask for the payments to be consolidated to avoid fees on small amounts.

I can't think of any disadvantages, unless you have a client who wants you to pay the fees on their side also.
Increasingly, it seems to me, TCs prefer, and some insist on paying through PayPal. I won't go into the pros and cons of that, as the forums are full of discussions of PayPal.

Do avoid checks from banks abroad. Clearing them takes forever and the fees are considerably higher. I got one payment that way long ago, and that was enough.

Good luck, and have a good Labor Day weekend.

Local time: 19:14
English to French
+ ...
Other options Sep 3, 2006

I like PayPal myself, unfortunately none of my European clients are using it.

Otherwise, the option that works best for me is a check. One of my best clients sends me checks in USD. Others send me checks in euros or GBP; the fees are lower than a bank transfer but the drawback is, they collect the money before they credit your account (Après Encaissement procedure in French) and that takes a while.

Re check cashing fees: I think each bank has its own policy. My bank charges rock-bottom fees but others can be quite expensive. You may want to shop around.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment options France>US

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs