Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2006

What are the options for receiving payment in the US from an agency located in France? What are the pros and cons for each option?

Diantha Guessous
Diantha Guessous  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
Member (2002)
French to English
bank transfer Sep 3, 2006

Hello Michele,

I mostly receive payments from Europen clients by bank transfer to my US account and I've never had any problems in several years of using that method.

The client notifies me of the "ordre de virement" and the money usually shows up in my account in several days. My bank-one of the big multinational ones-charges $10, which isn't bad. If I do a number of small jobs for the same client over a few months, I may ask for the payments to be consolidated to avo
... See more
Hello Michele,

I mostly receive payments from Europen clients by bank transfer to my US account and I've never had any problems in several years of using that method.

The client notifies me of the "ordre de virement" and the money usually shows up in my account in several days. My bank-one of the big multinational ones-charges $10, which isn't bad. If I do a number of small jobs for the same client over a few months, I may ask for the payments to be consolidated to avoid fees on small amounts.

I can't think of any disadvantages, unless you have a client who wants you to pay the fees on their side also.
Increasingly, it seems to me, TCs prefer, and some insist on paying through PayPal. I won't go into the pros and cons of that, as the forums are full of discussions of PayPal.

Do avoid checks from banks abroad. Clearing them takes forever and the fees are considerably higher. I got one payment that way long ago, and that was enough.

Good luck, and have a good Labor Day weekend.
Diantha
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 12:31
English to French
+ ...
Other options Sep 3, 2006

I like PayPal myself, unfortunately none of my European clients are using it.

Otherwise, the option that works best for me is a check. One of my best clients sends me checks in USD. Others send me checks in euros or GBP; the fees are lower than a bank transfer but the drawback is, they collect the money before they credit your account (Après Encaissement procedure in French) and that takes a while.

Re ch
... See more
I like PayPal myself, unfortunately none of my European clients are using it.

Otherwise, the option that works best for me is a check. One of my best clients sends me checks in USD. Others send me checks in euros or GBP; the fees are lower than a bank transfer but the drawback is, they collect the money before they credit your account (Après Encaissement procedure in French) and that takes a while.

Re check cashing fees: I think each bank has its own policy. My bank charges rock-bottom fees but others can be quite expensive. You may want to shop around.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment options France>US

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »