Mobile menu

What to do at USD0.04 per source word
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
Local time: 03:07
English to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2006

Hello! I have literally invested in somuch of software that an individual would not match me ( well my team as well), now today I have recd. an invitation to participate in a 600.000 word project at USd0.04, to be accomplished directly on the web. Such things do not happen everyday as I see, but at a price of USd 0.04 without being able to use my local TMs which I have so dearly developed over years. But a few hours later the project was already given, the outsourcer would like to contact me for future projects. The frustrating part is the opportunity while not being able to use my resources, the next is doing it directly on the web, the third and the last is the price. Sorry for the escalation, but I just had to post this. The outsourcer did not post his physical address, some mail-ending lead me to a website I know and I also know that they have a habit of leaving the translator in the middle of some work and not pay at all, just find some stupid typo or something, while the requirement is translation alone and not proofing. Good luck to all that have recd. the same message. Best Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

Trufev  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:07
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Forget it Sep 9, 2006

Just forget it.

For a Bulgarian translator like me USD 0.04 per sourse word is maybe a good deal but for a German this should be a real disaster (taking into account the standard of life in Germany)

Best regards

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:07
English to French
+ ...
Simple - don't take the job! Sep 9, 2006

The rate is extremely low for a standard job - but when you have to work on the web with a system you don't know and have to learn and/or you can't leverage the TM because of how the system is made, you should actually charge more than your regular rate, not less.

In any case, I find this offer rude, because the agency/outsourcer (I doubt it's a direct client) is giving themselves a volume discount before even awarding a job. Last I looked, it was up to the service provider (i.e. the freelancer) to OFFER the rebate rather than have it imposed upon him/her. Also, volume discounts don't make sense in our profession - we sell services and not goods, so the more work we get, the more time we have to work for, hence we should get paid more.

I would simply turn the job down - there are so many much more honest jobs on the market. Don't be impressed by the volume - it will be broken up between many translators...

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
You mean awarded/granted .......? Sep 9, 2006

Brandis wrote:

But a few hours later the project was already given, the outsourcer would like to contact me for future projects.

I fail to follow the real point of this rather incoherent posting, other than an apparent need to blow off steam, of course.

The job's already been awarded but you weren't happy with the terms anyhow. What's the point?

We all receive crap offers from time to time. It comes with the territory unfortunately. Supply and demand at its worst. Move on, you ain't going to change it.

Doesn't matter what line of business you're in - there'll always be bargain hunters. Hey, it's a free market.

At that price and under those conditions you should have ignored it from the outset IMHO.

Let them pay peanuts, get monkeys, etc., etc ....... it's no skin off your nose. Or shouldn't be at least.

After all, if there are seriously no individuals/teams to match you/yours (as you say), you're surely drowning in work anyhow, right?

Just concentrate on your own niche market, forget the price dumpers and try enjoy the rest of the weekend.

[Edited at 2006-09-10 05:31]

Manuel Rossetti
Local time: 02:07
.04 source word docs Sep 10, 2006

Imagine being offered an urgent project that is technical.

The Urgency of the project is so crucial that business terms were to be tended to while working on the project in order to achieve the objectives.

Respects are given to the third world country in regards to low wages. However, the client is of a very wealthy nation and corporation. Client only agrees to pay according to the lesser amount of words, ex. source word being less words than target words. Client demands .04USD per word in this case source for Urgent projects and .02USD per word. General v/s Technical documents is irrelevant.

Client demands up to a month of time to decide if it's satisfied with the document. If not, the contracted person is to change the document to satisfy the client's needs without additional pay and at the same time, be deducted in pay accordingly to the client's disgression. The client is not specific as to how much is to be deducted per correction. Once the client is satisfied- if the client is satisfied at all, then a month from that point, the contracted person recieves its money.

Upon reading this, I feel :

Angry in behalf of the client's exploitation.

[Edited at 2006-09-10 02:49]

Raghunathan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
Member (2006)
German to English
Just ignore Sep 10, 2006

The rate is far too low to deserve any consideration and reply. Just ignore. Even in India where the rate is relatively low I am getting paid around Rs. 2.50/ word which is more than USD 0.04

Since the outsourcer has not revealed his identify (address / telephone no.) you should be careful. I don't venture to take up some assignment from anyone whose identity is not established.

Most importantly we should have some std. min. rate below which you should not go, say Euro 0.07/word for the German market.

Good luck,

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
What an unreasonable rate Sep 10, 2006

Even I myself who live in Indonesia (with English-Indonesian pair) never accepted the rate. Indeed, I ever accepted one translation job for US$0.05. But it was on the early days of my going international. At present, my mean rate is US$0.10 per source word. It may be either slightly lower or slightly higher depending on number of source words, technicality, turn around time, and payment immediacy.
So, just refuse it right away.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Now you know what the delete button is for, Brandis! Sep 10, 2006

I delete rubbish e-mails before downloading them onto my computer.

Vito Smolej
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
600.000 words and 100% on a net? Sep 11, 2006

Nigerian connection?

One likely scenario the real project is the first 300.000 words and while the poor slob of a freelancer is opening a bottle of cheap Chablis to celebrate the 50% milestone, the admin turns off the lights on the site and disappears with ... 3 times er... carry 2 ... 50k$ of stolen assets.

No, no, even simpler: he or she says that your translation sucks and that he/she may have to introduce you to the big brother whose specialty is breaking freelancing fingers and bones in general if you dont show any respect.

[Edited at 2006-09-11 13:31]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do at USD0.04 per source word

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs