Receiving payment by credit card
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
English to Arabic
Sep 15, 2006

Dear All,

I've been asked by a client if I can accept payment by credit card. I am not sure how this is done. Would it be from a credit card to my bank account or to my credit card, and how is it processed exactly?

Any help on this matter will be appreciated.

Thank you all
Tamara

Sybila Canobra
Sybila Canobra  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Payment by credit card Sep 15, 2006

Hello Tamara.

I'm not sure how the banking system in your country works but I can tell you about my experience here in Chile. A good option is using online payment systems such as paypal. Giving your credit card number over the net is certainly not something the card holder should feel comfortable with, but this system seems to be quite safe, because you don't give your credit card number every time you receieve a payment but only when you register and that number is linked to an em
... See more
Hello Tamara.

I'm not sure how the banking system in your country works but I can tell you about my experience here in Chile. A good option is using online payment systems such as paypal. Giving your credit card number over the net is certainly not something the card holder should feel comfortable with, but this system seems to be quite safe, because you don't give your credit card number every time you receieve a payment but only when you register and that number is linked to an email address and therefore, no one has access to you card number. I have asked several people who have used it for a long time and they all say it's safe. The system works as follows: You register to the site and give your details to open an account. Once you have completed that step, you are able to start receiving payments to that paypal account. The good thing about all this is that the only information they use to complete the transaction is your e mail account which is linked to a credit card account (which is an international account). The buyer, taht is to say, your client makes the transfer into your credit card account and all you need to do afterwards is to make the transfer into your curent account. Find out what the transfer fees are (charged by both Paypal to transfer money from your customer to you and your local bank to make the transfer of such funds from your credit card account to your current account) before sending a quote. Good luck.
Collapse

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:57
Russian to English
+ ...
PayPal Sep 15, 2006

I agree, this is what I do in cases like this. It's simple and secure, but there's a small fee for you if you chose to set up a business account, which I think might be the requirement for being able to accept cr. card payments.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 09:57
English to German
+ ...
paypal is generally the regular method Sep 15, 2006

But they may not be accrediting to your card, if it is linked with an arabic bank, instead they issue a US cheque, which may sometimes take as much as 45 days time for clearance. I suggest that you contact your bank ( if arabian bank) else if it is a US bank, the accredition takes place directly to the card or european sometimes bank account is needed and takes about 5-7 working days. Best Brandis

Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:57
German to English
+ ...
Must be set up with a merchant account Sep 15, 2006

In order to accept credit card payments, you must be set up with a merchant account by your bank. This is not a quick overnight process and should certainly not be undertaken unless you frequently accept credit card payments. This is a separate process from your normal business or individual account.

Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Local time: 08:57
credit card payments Sep 16, 2006

Agencies and individuals have paid me by credit card through PayPal. That's how they pay me immediately, mainly for the first projects that I've done for them. I was slightly discounted as a result of having to accept pay by credit card, but who cares. I got my money quickly and the amount deducted was minimal.

ASE2
ASE2
Canada
Local time: 03:57
English to French
+ ...
I do not use PayPal anymore Sep 16, 2006

Since my Paypal account was cancelled after several tries by
other people to access it, giving different passwords each time.
PayPal is as safe as the internet (...), provided that no one steals your information, either by pishing, 'kidnapping' your modem, hacking into your account, or simply stealing your computer.
Bank transfers cost a bit more but are much more secure, although some mishapps can happen even there.
As far as I know, reputable agencies and clients also h
... See more
Since my Paypal account was cancelled after several tries by
other people to access it, giving different passwords each time.
PayPal is as safe as the internet (...), provided that no one steals your information, either by pishing, 'kidnapping' your modem, hacking into your account, or simply stealing your computer.
Bank transfers cost a bit more but are much more secure, although some mishapps can happen even there.
As far as I know, reputable agencies and clients also have bank accounts to work with.
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Paypal Premier Account Sep 16, 2006

Well, you can accept Credit Card transfers from others if you have a premier account with Paypal. This option is somewhat cheaper than Business Account... and of course you have the option of upgrading to a Business Account if you want. And if your transactions are above a certain amount in a month you don't pay that extra charge either... go to FAQ of Paypal for more information.

Still I agree that money transfer/ direct money transfer to your real bank account is much safer if y
... See more
Well, you can accept Credit Card transfers from others if you have a premier account with Paypal. This option is somewhat cheaper than Business Account... and of course you have the option of upgrading to a Business Account if you want. And if your transactions are above a certain amount in a month you don't pay that extra charge either... go to FAQ of Paypal for more information.

Still I agree that money transfer/ direct money transfer to your real bank account is much safer if you have bigger transactions.

Hope this is of some help.

Ritu
Collapse

lucysebastian
lucysebastian
Local time: 09:57
English to Arabic
Western Union Sep 16, 2006

Good Morning

I would advise to use Western Union that is very safe.
Just you accept by your email a code.
You give the code to the bank and they give you quick cash.

The charges of that is that the one who sends you money pays 12 dollars in order to send 100 Dollars.

Thanks
Sebastian

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:57
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Western Union safe? Sep 16, 2006

See this thread.
http://www.proz.com/topic/55428

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving payment by credit card

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »