Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:40
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2006

I was due to receive a not inconsiderable sum by WU today - sent from Ukraine. I went to the local WU agents in Glasgow, Scotland, where I am based, only to be told, when I provided the transfer reference numbers (for two separate transactions) that the money had already been paid out.

Either there is a problem with their tracking system

Or someone in Scotland, indeed as I understand it in Glasgow, has successfully masqueraded as me, in the knowledge that money would be
... See more
I was due to receive a not inconsiderable sum by WU today - sent from Ukraine. I went to the local WU agents in Glasgow, Scotland, where I am based, only to be told, when I provided the transfer reference numbers (for two separate transactions) that the money had already been paid out.

Either there is a problem with their tracking system

Or someone in Scotland, indeed as I understand it in Glasgow, has successfully masqueraded as me, in the knowledge that money would be sent to me, and intercepted the loot. Which seems improbable....

Doesn't it?

Has anyone else had any similar problems with WU and what did you do to resolve them? I understand that the onus is on the sender to report it to WU and initiate an investigation. But what happens next....?
Collapse

De la Vera C (X)
De la Vera C (X)
Argentina
Local time: 11:40
English to Spanish
ID Sep 16, 2006

Sorry to hear you had that problem!

Didn't they ask you for an ID? I always receive payment via WU and have never had problems so far, but they ask me for my ID (the person who sends the payment provides my ID number and also my address).

I really hope you solve the problem.

Verónica

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:40
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
It's really strange Sep 16, 2006

Perhaps you should go to their local office and require a receipt - no, two receipts! - with the signature of the other Daniel Brennan on them. Hopefully you will find that it was just a computer glitch.

Or... was it send with the "secret question and no ID" option? Then your "interception" version doesn't seem so improbable anymore...

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:40
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Dan Sep 16, 2006

It is really very very strange!

To receive your money, you should:

1) Know that these money have been sent at all
2) Know an approximate amount
3) Know the MTCN
4) Know the name and address of the sender
5) Show your own document to identify yourself as the recipient

I don't believe somebody could receive your money... unless the sender provided MTCN to somebody else... Wasn't this your first job done for this client?

P
... See more

3) Know the MTCN

I don't believe somebody could receive your money... unless the sender provided MTCN to somebody else... Wasn't this your first job done for this client?

P.S. Did you try to track your money yourself through the WU online system?

[Edited at 2006-09-16 21:29]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
This is indeed very strange Sep 16, 2006

HI!

I had some trouble getting my money out of russia sometime back, finally what I had recd. was so less and the work involved in running around (well hourly rate) that finally recd. only a very meager amount. This ofcourse has no similarity with your current issue. I still find that strange, that someone else could encash in your name. You must immediately inform the payer and get newer codes or even place a claim both the the sender and the western union. This is intolerable. Be
... See more
HI!

I had some trouble getting my money out of russia sometime back, finally what I had recd. was so less and the work involved in running around (well hourly rate) that finally recd. only a very meager amount. This ofcourse has no similarity with your current issue. I still find that strange, that someone else could encash in your name. You must immediately inform the payer and get newer codes or even place a claim both the the sender and the western union. This is intolerable. Best Brandis
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's strange I know... but true Sep 16, 2006

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED. I KNOW IT'S REALLY STRANGE. I CANNOT QUITE BELIEVE IT HAS HAPPENED

Natalie wrote:

3) Know the MTCN

I HAD ALL OF THIS INFO. IT WAS WHEN THEY CHECKED THE MTCN THAT THEY TOLD ME THE TRANSACTIONS HAD ALREADY BEEN PAID. THEY WOULD NOT TELL ME ANY MORE THAN THAT.

THIS WAS NOT THE FIRST JOB I'D DONE FOR THEM. ALL PREVIOUS TRANSACTIONS HAVE ARRIVED SAFELY.

P.S. Did you try to track your money yourself through the WU online system?

NOT YET - I WILL HAVE A GO.... THX

I'VE JUST CHECKED THE STATUS ONLINE, AND THE TRANSACTIONS HAVE BEEN "PICKED UP"!!!! AMAZING, BUT TRUE....

[Edited at 2006-09-16 21:29]

[Edited at 2006-09-16 22:22]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Just an idea... Sep 16, 2006

Dan, are you sure our emails are safe? Maybe an email with MTCN/amount has been stolen?

Libero_Lang_Lab
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
emails Sep 16, 2006

Natalie wrote:

Dan, are you sure our emails are safe? Maybe an email with MTCN/amount has been stolen?

it's a scary thought... it would explain it.... but jeeeez

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
how about payment proof Sep 17, 2006

Hi! I still do not understand how a thing like this can happen. I had recd. a payment a few months back from another country, I was given a code, which I had to mention to the pay-out office, they took a check of my passport and paid out and gave me a pay-out document and took my signature, filed a copy. In such a process, your local western union would be having such a copy with your signature on it. If I were you I would cross-check with them once again. best Brandis

theangel
theangel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
totally agree Sep 17, 2006

with Brandis. They can't give away the money without a signed receipt. Also, if this was not the first time you went to that WU office, the people there should already know you! Sounds really amazing, I'm very sorry for you, Daniel.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 09:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Well... Sep 17, 2006

Daniel Brennan wrote:

Natalie wrote:

Even if so, the interceptor must have had a photo ID with Dan's name forged in no time flat. Sounds really improbable to me. I think Roman is closer to the truth - comp glitch, and the paper receipts or the lack of them should provide the clue. I don't know who has the right to request them - sender or recipient, but I'd certainly take it from there.

Dan, was it a new client? Do you trust them? They were the ones who knew it all about the transmission... Do you have any grounds to suspect scamming?

Good luck!
Irene

[Edited at 2006-09-17 08:52]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:40
English to German
+ ...
unbelievable Sep 17, 2006

Daniel Brennan wrote:
Natalie wrote:

This would be a great task for a Trojan
but nevertheless, they would have to fake your ID card too,
- and I wouldn't believe this before I would have seen the signed receipts from your WU agency.

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 14:40
German to English
+ ...
... Sep 17, 2006

If WU have paid out to the wrong guy by mistake, by not checking and taking a copy of his ID, then that is their loss.

I suggest you sue them if they refuse to pay you.

Libero_Lang_Lab
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
waiting on WU Sep 17, 2006

... to reply to the sender who has been made aware of the situation.

i've also written to WU asking them to explain their security procedures.

I don't suppose I will be any the wiser before Monday.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
just ask for a copy of the voucher Sep 17, 2006

Daniel Brennan wrote:

... to reply to the sender who has been made aware of the situation.

i've also written to WU asking them to explain their security procedures.

I don't suppose I will be any the wiser before Monday.

with your signature on it. Show them if you can how this matches with yours in your id card. The rest I guess is their mistake. Best Brandis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Western Union payment goes west....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »