https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/55810-paypal_not_legal_in_belgium.html

PayPal not legal in Belgium?
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:22
English to Swedish
Sep 21, 2006

I was offered a small rush job from a client in Belgium, and I told them that I wanted payment via PayPal within 10 days, which was accepted.
Now the payment is overdue (surprise, surprise), and when I asked about it I was informed by their accounting department that, I quote: "Sorry but we don't use paypal isn't legal in Belgium".
Does anybody know if this is actually true?
(Apart from that I am of course very annoyed that my conditions were accepted, and then ignored, and I h
... See more
I was offered a small rush job from a client in Belgium, and I told them that I wanted payment via PayPal within 10 days, which was accepted.
Now the payment is overdue (surprise, surprise), and when I asked about it I was informed by their accounting department that, I quote: "Sorry but we don't use paypal isn't legal in Belgium".
Does anybody know if this is actually true?
(Apart from that I am of course very annoyed that my conditions were accepted, and then ignored, and I have added the bank transfer fee to the initial amount and demanded payment directely, not at the end of this month as offered by them.)
Cecilia
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Well ... Sep 21, 2006

... considering that there is a Belgian Paypal website, I can't imagine that Paypal is illegal in Belgium ...

www.paypal.be

Cecilia Falk
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for web site info Sep 21, 2006

...I have forwarded it to the client and asked for an explanation on in exactely what way it is not legal.

Thanks again!
Cecilia

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:22
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
their reply Sep 21, 2006

Hi Cecilia,

I would very much like to learn their answer, if they give one. I am wondering if it has something to do with accounting regulations?

Kind regards,

Balaban

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not true Sep 21, 2006

I remember at least two Belgium-based clients having paid me via PayPal - one of them only a couple of months ago.

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Pure nonsense Sep 21, 2006

Cecilia Falk wrote:

...paypal isn't legal in Belgium"...
Cecilia

Obviously they are too stupid (or too lazy) to open an account!

Cecilia Falk
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Nonsense it all is... Sep 21, 2006

Yes, of course it turned out that it is not illegal at all. Here is what the client answered when I sent them the link to the Belgian web site and asked them to specify exactely in what way PayPal is not legal in Belgium:

"We don't use it because of bank extracts documents are not very clean for the belgian taxes."

Thus something completely different than their initial explanation as to why they had not payed me the way we had agreed.

Thank you for helping
... See more
Yes, of course it turned out that it is not illegal at all. Here is what the client answered when I sent them the link to the Belgian web site and asked them to specify exactely in what way PayPal is not legal in Belgium:

"We don't use it because of bank extracts documents are not very clean for the belgian taxes."

Thus something completely different than their initial explanation as to why they had not payed me the way we had agreed.

Thank you for helping me to clear this up!

Best regards,
Cecilia
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Sep 22, 2006

Sorry, but may I ask who your client is? Because I once made a translation for a Belgian translation agency and never got paid (fortunately, it was a small one). It happened that it had a false URL and I had to ask several times for my payment; they never paid me at the end. They had also committed fraud with a number of other translators. I reported this at PROZ, that it was a fraud agency, but apparently they couldn't track it or take any measures against it.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No discussion of specific outsourcers in the forum, please Sep 22, 2006

Hi Cristina,
Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Sorry, but may I ask who your client is?

Please exchange this information - if deemed appropriate - privately; refer to forum rule no. 8. Thanks.

Because I once made a translation for a Belgian translation agency and never got paid (fortunately, it was a small one). It happened that it had a false URL and I had to ask several times for my payment; they never paid me at the end. They had also committed fraud with a number of other translators. I reported this at PROZ, that it was a fraud agency, but apparently they couldn't track it or take any measures against it.

I exchanged a few messages with you, since you had posted an entry on the Blue Board, but apparently for the wrong outsourcer. At the time, I suggested to post a new record, with the contact details available to you; as far as I can see, you haven't done that.

Can you please contact me through my profile?

Best regards,
Ralf

Virgile
Virgile
Australia
Local time: 05:22
English to French
+ ...
There are problems to pay using Paypal in Belgium! Sep 22, 2006

Hi, I just want to mention that as a Ebayer I have tried to buy some stuff from Belgium (and Luxemburg I think...) and had lots of problems as people from these countries could not receive (maybe send as well?) money from other counntries using Paypal. I contacted Paypal re this matter and they told me that this service was not running at the time.
This company is perhaps of good faith but has certainly an accountant who is not up to date on Paypal services!!!
Hope that helps
<
... See more
Hi, I just want to mention that as a Ebayer I have tried to buy some stuff from Belgium (and Luxemburg I think...) and had lots of problems as people from these countries could not receive (maybe send as well?) money from other counntries using Paypal. I contacted Paypal re this matter and they told me that this service was not running at the time.
This company is perhaps of good faith but has certainly an accountant who is not up to date on Paypal services!!!
Hope that helps

Virgile
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
This may be true Sep 22, 2006

Hi there,

I had two projects from BE and both have agreed to clear invoice via paypal initially, but later have opted to do wire transfer which took a very long time. May be the govt is imposing new regulations, because about a year back I could receive payments via paypal from Belgian customers. Best Brandis

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
PayPal can be used in Belgium Sep 22, 2006

I have used PayPal for a couple of years now for international payments, to receive payments from clients as well as to pay other translators. This is perfectly legal and my accountant or the tax authorities do not have any problem with the statements, so I think your client needs a new accountant. [;)]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal not legal in Belgium?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »