Sandra B.
Sandra B.
Portugal
Local time: 09:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 16, 2001

Nikki

I totally agree with you. We do our best to present a good job, and on time, and them they play around with us... We need to do something about this! I\'m again with payment troubles (BooksFActory, Barcelona), a big amount of money, and things are getting very bad... It\'s a hassle to have to deal with this.

Let\'s do something!!

Sandra

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 04:26
German to English
+ ...
Yes, something needs to be done Nov 16, 2001

Absolutely! But I also believe that taking preventive measures is always better than damage control after the fact. That\'s why I have developed \"15 rules for dealing with agencies\".

Some may argue that some of these rules are difficult to implement when you are at the point of starving to death, but I believe that we all have to be firm and set out clear rules
... See more
Absolutely! But I also believe that taking preventive measures is always better than damage control after the fact. That\'s why I have developed \"15 rules for dealing with agencies\".

Some may argue that some of these rules are difficult to implement when you are at the point of starving to death, but I believe that we all have to be firm and set out clear rules for our clients - every business does that! So, why should we not do the same?

Especially when \"you\'re starving\", it would be the most foolish thing to do to accept work from a shady agency, waste your valuable energy and time and still not get paid for it.
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 13:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
How bad! Nov 16, 2001

Sandra, I am really sad to hear about your case.

I think, as soon as someone bags a job, he/she should immediately ask for the opinion of members about the agency in question on PROZ.COM. You can remain anonymous.

This way, you will get immediate feedback from members, if any.

We should be able to get feedback even before we bid for jobs.

But on PROZ it is not necessary to give full name and address of the job poster becaus
... See more
Sandra, I am really sad to hear about your case.

I think, as soon as someone bags a job, he/she should immediately ask for the opinion of members about the agency in question on PROZ.COM. You can remain anonymous.

This way, you will get immediate feedback from members, if any.

We should be able to get feedback even before we bid for jobs.

But on PROZ it is not necessary to give full name and address of the job poster because of privay reasons.

But what about the translator? What protection does he have?

Now, some people will say, if you do not like the system, do not quote and risk yourself.

They say, it is not obligatory to quote, there are hundreds of other who will quote.

Quote:

On 2001-11-16 13:14, scidade wrote:

Nikki

I totally agree with you. We do our best to present a good job, and on time, and them they play around with us... We need to do something about this! I\'m again with payment troubles (BooksFActory, Barcelona), a big amount of money, and things are getting very bad... It\'s a hassle to have to deal with this.

Let\'s do something!!

Sandra

Collapse

Katharina Boewig
Katharina Boewig
Local time: 10:26
Catalan to German
+ ...
Me too! Nov 17, 2001

It\'s increible how much persons do have the same problems. I made a translation in August for a translation agency. I won\'t submit the name, because there really could be a \"misunderstanding\". It started pretty good, I was told that my translations are ok and accepted. I made some in a really hurry, because they were very urgent. I started on the next project and when I sent it in, I was told, that it should have been another file. I wasn\'t sure about it, but as I couldn\'t prove the contra... See more
It\'s increible how much persons do have the same problems. I made a translation in August for a translation agency. I won\'t submit the name, because there really could be a \"misunderstanding\". It started pretty good, I was told that my translations are ok and accepted. I made some in a really hurry, because they were very urgent. I started on the next project and when I sent it in, I was told, that it should have been another file. I wasn\'t sure about it, but as I couldn\'t prove the contrary (always keep all mails!!!!!)I said, ok, if you don\'t want to pay me on that, because somebody else already did it, you don\'t have to pay me. But I was never told if I\'d be paid or not.

The next one was, that the translation for the first project had to be reworked by somebody else, because my translation was completely wrong. That, I think can\'t be possible. I\'m reworking and changing and doing it all over, till it\'s really good.

But, I was also told, it could be the fault of a programme, but that has to be investigated. I\'m sure that it was the programme.

All that was in October, inbetween they sent me another mail, that I still got to wait, they\'ve got to sort it out.

In the beginning I checked on this agency and it seemed ok, it\'s posting lots of job offers here, and if nobody ever said something about them, so they must be serious. I don\'t know, what\'s going on, I still don\'t have my money, and I\'m starting to doubt if I\'ll ever see it! But, at the moment I can prove nothing, so I don\'t want to blame them. But in case, they\'re just looking for excuses not to pay me, I\'ll make it public, and I\'m sure there will be some surprises!
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment problems: Let\'s do something!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »