Mobile menu

pricing translation of ppt files
Thread poster: brigidm

brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:20
Norwegian to English
Sep 28, 2006

How do you price for translating ppt files? I usually price based on word count - I know that others price by page/hour etc. So far I have charged for my normal rate per word, plus 30% for formatting work. The agency I quoted for were happy with this, though they informed me that this varied, some freelancers charged an hourly rate because of the formatting work that might be involved. Would appreciate any input.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:20
Member (2004)
English to Greek
+ ...
On word count Sep 28, 2006

However, I also inform the client that if formatting is required after I have completed the translation (always with Tag Editor), that they will be charged xx amount for each slide needing formatting.

They usually accept it and consider it fair. Otherwise, they ask me to send the file "as is" and they do their own formatting (very seldom).

Hope this helps,
Nadia

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your method sounds good Sep 28, 2006

Brigid McCauley wrote:
How do you price for translating ppt files? So far I have charged for my normal rate per word, plus 30% for formatting work.

That sounds good, yes. It depends a bit on whether your CAT tool can handle PPT files well or not.

brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I do use Wordfast Sep 28, 2006

... and it works fine. But I still have to go through and adjust font sizes to make the text fit the pages etc.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:20
Flemish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate + word-count Sep 28, 2006

Reason :
Time-consuming =hourly-rate.
+the number of words translated.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
well, words can be different kinds Sep 28, 2006

I usually price based on word count
If the text can be in the PPT outline. Or it can be sprikled accross different text boxes and other paraphernalia.,

Just the word count does not do it justice. Even with CAT tools you may eventually have to hound some little text snippets around... So depending on the PPT complexity you may eventually opt for hours.

Which brings up the same question in a different way: instead of "how much per word" the question is then "how much per slide".

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pricing translation of ppt files

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs