Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 9, 2006

Hello everyone,
I hope all is well.
One of my clients in Canada told me that he would pay via a bank draft. To say the truth I've never known what a bank draft means, and after checking the internet I have found a couple of definitions but still the way it works isn't very clear to me. Has anyone got any experience with bank drafts? How do they actually work? Thanks in advance

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
If I'm not mistaken Oct 9, 2006

... it is a check, only that the issuer is formally the bank itslef instaid of your customer, so it is more "guaranteed" than a normal bank check.

They probably send it to you by post, and you deposit it on your bank account. This means that you have to wait a few days to have the value effectively on your account (depending on your bank) and that you pay any fees that your bank charges for the deposit of foreign checks.

Let's say that it is better than normal bank che
... See more
... it is a check, only that the issuer is formally the bank itslef instaid of your customer, so it is more "guaranteed" than a normal bank check.

They probably send it to you by post, and you deposit it on your bank account. This means that you have to wait a few days to have the value effectively on your account (depending on your bank) and that you pay any fees that your bank charges for the deposit of foreign checks.

Let's say that it is better than normal bank checks (more secure) but worse than bank transfers or other systems (slower and maybe more costly).

Everything - timing and fees - depends on your bank.
Collapse

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
French to English
+ ...
Extra info - banker's and not bank draft. Oct 9, 2006

I agree with Francesca. In the UK and most Brit. Comm. countries it is called a banker's draft - see ref. So it is this term you should really be looking at:

Banker's draft. Definition. In situations where a person owes money to a creditor, and the creditor is not prepared to accept a personal cheque because he ...
glossary.global-investor.com/terms/banker's-draft.htm?id=117&ginPtrCode=00000&PopupMode=

Banker's drafts, unless forged, can't bounce.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank drafts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »