Translation of official documents, UK
Thread poster: Kristina Wolf

Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Oct 11, 2006

I recently am getting more request from private, one-off clients for translation of marriage certificates, etc. mainly to obtain residency.
I was wondering about what kind of charge would be appropiate, so am grateful for any guidance. This would be a charge for a certified translation but without notarisation.

Direct link Reply with quote

peiling  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
Partial member (2006)
Chinese to English
+ ...
By the hour Oct 11, 2006

Hi Kristina,

I translate a lot of birth/death certificates and I usually charge by the hour. Hope that helps.

Spencer Allman
Local time: 09:50
Finnish to English
+ ...
It is entirely up to you Oct 12, 2006

There are so many varaiables involved that it is hard to give a hard and fast answer. If you are based in the UK you don't need a notary's endorsement.
Just charge your normal rates with a substantial minimum charge, as sometimes the documents are quite short.
This can be quite lucrative work, as you tend to create templates for documents that are often very similar.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Minimum charge Oct 12, 2006

I find these are usually short enough to be invoiced at my minimum charge, which in my case is £20. Educational qualifications are usually much longer, so I charge at my usual rate/1000 words.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
Twenty pounds Oct 12, 2006

Well, when I was freelancing in the UK in 2000-2002, I used to add twenty pounds to the normal translation fee if clients wanted me to have the translation sworn in at a solicitor's. I seem to recall that the fee at the solicitor's was about ten pounds, and I felt that the remaining ten pounds was reasonable compensation for the time and trouble involved in attending at the solicitor's office.
This was my own personal practice and I have no idea what other people do. Of course, solicitors' fees may have changed since then, but I hope this repy gives you some guidance.

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do them all the time Oct 15, 2006

Loads of people getting married abroad need several documents translated into Spanish. I charge £50 per document including witnessing by solicitor's if they are under 500 words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of official documents, UK

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs