Thread poster: yoshikobergvall
yoshikobergvall
yoshikobergvall
Local time: 09:14
English to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 13, 2006

Hi!
I would like to know what freelance people charge for their translation/interpretation work here in Sweden (per hour).
I know that we need to pay just over 50% for VAT etc. so I would assume the total charge will be higher than other countries???

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No VAT Oct 13, 2006

You charge VAT only from customers in the same country.
You better join the Swedish translators league and ask about pricing. Translation rates depend on the level of income you want to achieve.
Regards
Heinrich

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Ask SFÖ Oct 13, 2006

Hello Yoshiko,

Why don't you ask SFÖ, the Swedish Association of Professional Translators, at www.sfoe.se who surely will be able to help you.

You might also want to contact Skatteverket at www.skatteverket.se who can give you further information about taxes. There are of course thousands and thousands mo
... See more
Hello Yoshiko,

Why don't you ask SFÖ, the Swedish Association of Professional Translators, at www.sfoe.se who surely will be able to help you.

You might also want to contact Skatteverket at www.skatteverket.se who can give you further information about taxes. There are of course thousands and thousands more links for entrepreneurs. You should look up any opportunities for grants for peope starting up their own companies.

HTH
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Website www.hansson.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Thor Truelson
Thor Truelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:14
Swedish to English
+ ...
You can charge what you want Oct 13, 2006

Hi. Just like anywhere else in the world, you can charge whatever you want. I am a member of SFÖ and work with several Swedish companies and I charge them the same as I do US companies. When I first started working with Swedish companies, I thought that maybe I could push the pay scale some since the cost of living is significantly higher in Sweden than in the US, but I learned early on that the rates were about the same. Each time I bid high, I wouldn't get the job. I do not charge VAT si... See more
Hi. Just like anywhere else in the world, you can charge whatever you want. I am a member of SFÖ and work with several Swedish companies and I charge them the same as I do US companies. When I first started working with Swedish companies, I thought that maybe I could push the pay scale some since the cost of living is significantly higher in Sweden than in the US, but I learned early on that the rates were about the same. Each time I bid high, I wouldn't get the job. I do not charge VAT since I do not live there. That's only for in-country transactions. Contact the SFÖ, for more detailed info in VAT. I am sure they can help you.

Thor
Collapse

Irene Elmerot
Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
Don't "undercharge!" Oct 13, 2006

Hi and welcome to Sweden

Except for the advice you've already been given, I'd like to add that please don't forget to charge direct clients more than translation agencies. The reason we have agencies is that they should tdo the dirty work, and hence we can charge less than otherwise.

The rates depend som much on the language as well, so join SFÖ and check with colleagues in the same language combinations
... See more
Hi and welcome to Sweden

Except for the advice you've already been given, I'd like to add that please don't forget to charge direct clients more than translation agencies. The reason we have agencies is that they should tdo the dirty work, and hence we can charge less than otherwise.

The rates depend som much on the language as well, so join SFÖ and check with colleagues in the same language combinations there, preferrably via private email.

Good luck!
Collapse

yoshikobergvall
yoshikobergvall
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you to all! Oct 14, 2006

Thank you all for helping advice in such a short period of time!
I will look into the sites and organization you have mentioned!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

probable rate in Sweden

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »