Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 12:44
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Oct 16, 2006

Hi,

I've been offered by a local bank to hold a course for their translators. The plan for now is to hold a 2-hour class once a week for 6 months. The course would cover practical issues (focus on legal translation, terminology, contrastive analysis on textual level) and a bit of theory. I would be working with experienced translators, trying to convey what I've learned over the years of work and studying.

I'm not sure how much to charge. I'd charge for the classes, plu
... See more
Hi,

I've been offered by a local bank to hold a course for their translators. The plan for now is to hold a 2-hour class once a week for 6 months. The course would cover practical issues (focus on legal translation, terminology, contrastive analysis on textual level) and a bit of theory. I would be working with experienced translators, trying to convey what I've learned over the years of work and studying.

I'm not sure how much to charge. I'd charge for the classes, plus time spent preparing the material and checking any possible assignments.

I'd appreciate some suggestions if anyone's been in a similar situation or has a suggestion... How much would you charge in terms of your typical hourly rate for interpretation/translation? Two, three, four times as much? More?... I wouldn't want to undersell my hard-earned knowledge...

Thanks for your suggestions!
Collapse

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
An hour of your time is an hour of your time... Oct 16, 2006

...when I teach I charge the same amount per hour as I do otherwise. Then there are other factors to take into account: travel, preparation, marking assignments...

One rule of thumb that I use, and which is fairly general in Swedish teaching institutions (academic ones anyway), is that every three hours in the classroom requires one hour of preparation/marking. Given the nature of your course you may want to make that 2:1. Calculate in your travel/material/copying costs as well...
... See more
...when I teach I charge the same amount per hour as I do otherwise. Then there are other factors to take into account: travel, preparation, marking assignments...

One rule of thumb that I use, and which is fairly general in Swedish teaching institutions (academic ones anyway), is that every three hours in the classroom requires one hour of preparation/marking. Given the nature of your course you may want to make that 2:1. Calculate in your travel/material/copying costs as well...

I would be tempted to put to the customer as two hours a week in the classrom is actually the equivalent of three hours' work, rather than presenting an extravagant hourly rate for those two hours. My guess is that customers who perhaps don't realise the preparation invloved are less likely to baulk at the total cost if you explain what is involved.
Collapse

Almir Comor MITI
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly one hour of my time Oct 16, 2006

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm not sure I'll be selling only one hour of my time. It's supposed to be selling expertise.

Cheers

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not exactly the same situation, but somehow similar Oct 16, 2006

and I held a poll on that here earlier this year (http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=past&action=results&poll_id=1117).

What I mean is exactly what you wrote. You are supposed to sell your expertise to n people. When you charge just two hours, you will not make a good business.
I cannot tell you numbers, but give you some thoughts.
Look
... See more
and I held a poll on that here earlier this year (http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=past&action=results&poll_id=1117).

What I mean is exactly what you wrote. You are supposed to sell your expertise to n people. When you charge just two hours, you will not make a good business.
I cannot tell you numbers, but give you some thoughts.
Look how many people will profit from your experience, make a number per person, which is not too high and not to low and then you will have your charge. But IMHO this should definitelly not be your usual hourly rate.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:44
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
a few ideas.............. Oct 17, 2006

Hi Almir

Taking into account what you've said, the fact that you will be teaching high-level stuff I'd quote them an hourly rate similar to what interpreters would charge. ( Minimum £45-50 per hour I would go for )

If in doubt charge high and then if they don't like it you can always reduce your price. ( Better this than quoting a low price and then they accept straight away! )

Hope that helps

Mihailo

ps I've just read it's a loca
... See more
Hi Almir

Taking into account what you've said, the fact that you will be teaching high-level stuff I'd quote them an hourly rate similar to what interpreters would charge. ( Minimum £45-50 per hour I would go for )

If in doubt charge high and then if they don't like it you can always reduce your price. ( Better this than quoting a low price and then they accept straight away! )

Hope that helps

Mihailo

ps I've just read it's a local bank, they have money, what the hell charge them £60!!!!!

pps look on yourself as a "linguistic consultant", they get paid very good money.

[Edited at 2006-10-17 14:19]
Collapse

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
A misunderstanding, perhaps... Oct 17, 2006

...but I'm a bit confused by your comment - aren't you selling your expertise when you interpret or translate? Or is this a question of local markets and payment rates for different services? I regard myself as a linguistic consultant whether or not I am teaching or translating...

Almir Comor MITI
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 1, 2006

Thank you all for your replies...

Clare, possibly a misunderstanding... I eventually decided not to charge too much as this would be my first attempt at something like this. My offer was accepted.

Best,
Almir

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for a course?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »