https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/58402-agency_requests_my_personal_banking_address_to_pay.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Agency requests my personal banking address to pay
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 26, 2006

An agency I recently made a translation for has contacted me today, asking for my "account holder's name" and "full address" associated with my bank account, claiming that they will not be able to make the payment without this information.

Intuitively, I feel reluctant about sending off that address, since I feel it may pose a security risk to my bank account (I don't know much about banking, though). Something else that bothers me is that I have not previously been in contact with
... See more
An agency I recently made a translation for has contacted me today, asking for my "account holder's name" and "full address" associated with my bank account, claiming that they will not be able to make the payment without this information.

Intuitively, I feel reluctant about sending off that address, since I feel it may pose a security risk to my bank account (I don't know much about banking, though). Something else that bothers me is that I have not previously been in contact with the particular person who is now contacting me although, given the domain name in his email address, he does appear to be from the agency (which in itself is a serious agency beyond doubt). Could it be a scam?

Any reflections of what is going on or what I should do?

My correspondence with the agency follows below (last message first):

------

Hello Thomas,

Our ABN AMRO office banking requires a full name (account holders name) and a corresponding address for making a valid payment.
Without it, we can simply not pay (PayPal is an alternative in that case)

Regards,
XXXX

------

Hi XXXX,

I don't understand. Usually it should be enough with the IBAN number.

Best,

Thomas Johansson

------

> Dear Thomas,

>
> I need your account holder's name and full address WHICH BELONG TO THE
> BELGIUM BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS you gave me.
>
> regards,
>
> XXXXXX
> THE_AGENCY_NAME
>
Collapse

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 00:42
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Check it Oct 26, 2006

Hi Thomas,
Here in Italy, a lot of business is done directly into bank accounts. Often I have clients who want the name of the account and the address of the bank branch. That way they can input the IBAN into a data base and see if what comes out is your bank. Its a check. If the IBAN is input wrongly, then at best, there would be delays, At worst it might go into somebody else's account.
But, if you are not sure that the request is from your agency then. get on the telephone and CHE
... See more
Hi Thomas,
Here in Italy, a lot of business is done directly into bank accounts. Often I have clients who want the name of the account and the address of the bank branch. That way they can input the IBAN into a data base and see if what comes out is your bank. Its a check. If the IBAN is input wrongly, then at best, there would be delays, At worst it might go into somebody else's account.
But, if you are not sure that the request is from your agency then. get on the telephone and CHECK IT OUT! Scammers are rife!
Cheers
Jim
Collapse

Ann Bishop (X)
Ann Bishop (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
don't worry... Oct 26, 2006

Hello Thomas:

It's quite okay to give your bank's address. It is quite common.
No need to worry about security.

Regards,
--Ann

James (Jim) Davis
Seychelles
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Check it Oct 26, 2006

Ann it wouldn't take much for Thomas to check it. If it is his agency that phoned, him fine. If it was somebody else. Somebody with a new idea for a scam. Want to steal somebody's identity, then start collecting info.
Just phone the agency Thomas.
Jim

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
True Oct 26, 2006

What they state is true. In Holland for example, you can't pay without that address.

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
They're telling the truth Oct 26, 2006

Hi Thomas,

It's common procedure to be asked for your bank account number (IBAN / SWIFT) as well as the bank name and address, when you're being paid by bank transfer.
And if you are sure it's a reliable company, don't worry.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
True and false Oct 26, 2006

The account number is the ONLY relevant information. You can write Santa Claus as the account holder and Lapland as the address, but provided you indicate the corect account number, money goes to the account holder. ALL other fields are irrelevant and are for your convenience only.

But in fact, you should not worry. This is a normal procedure. I provide this information on my invoices, as most people do.

Good news is, they are willing to pay. This is not always the case
... See more
The account number is the ONLY relevant information. You can write Santa Claus as the account holder and Lapland as the address, but provided you indicate the corect account number, money goes to the account holder. ALL other fields are irrelevant and are for your convenience only.

But in fact, you should not worry. This is a normal procedure. I provide this information on my invoices, as most people do.

Good news is, they are willing to pay. This is not always the case, unfortunately.

Good luck

Andrzej
Collapse

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:42
English to Greek
+ ...
Quite true Oct 26, 2006

No bank makes any payments unless they have all these details, whether we like it or not.

Same in Greece.

Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is true what they say Oct 26, 2006

Hi,

I have an account in Belgian and in order to process a transfer or payment on-line I need to complete the bank's address despite of having the IBAN code.

I think it is very annoying; but that is how their system has been designed. If I don't complete that information there is no way I can process the payment on-line. It is considered, at least for my bank, as a compulsory field.

Cecilia

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
True in the US and France as well Oct 26, 2006

Hello Thomas,

It is pretty standard procedure these days. They are not being "funny" with you.

Kind regards,

Patricia

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Account holder's address Oct 26, 2006

From Spain, I also need my supplier's OWN address (not the bank's address) if I use the IBAN number for a bank transfer.

If the transfer is even further afield, they might need also the bank's (branch's) address.
(and the BIC/SWIFT number)

AS

[Edited at 2006-10-26 21:21]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Account holder's name *is* checked in Germany Oct 26, 2006

Hi Andrzej,

Not quite - in Germany, for example, the indicated recipient's name is checked against the name of the account holder. Payments may be (and, in my own experience, have been) returned if there is a discrepancy.

Best regards,
Ralf

cisternas
cisternas  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Citibank information Oct 26, 2006

I have a current account with Citibank in Chile.
I have clients in Unisted States and France.
The bank send me this information that I have to send my clients to receive a wire transfer. This is for euros but it is similar for US dollars.

Regards, Cristina

PROCEDURE TO SEND WIRE TRANSFERS IN EUROS TO CITIBANK N.A, SANTIAGO, CHILE.

To send a Euros Wire Transfer from any bank in Europe or from any country (preferably Citibank’s partner banks), t
... See more
I have a current account with Citibank in Chile.
I have clients in Unisted States and France.
The bank send me this information that I have to send my clients to receive a wire transfer. This is for euros but it is similar for US dollars.

Regards, Cristina

PROCEDURE TO SEND WIRE TRANSFERS IN EUROS TO CITIBANK N.A, SANTIAGO, CHILE.

To send a Euros Wire Transfer from any bank in Europe or from any country (preferably Citibank’s partner banks), to Citibank N.A, Chile, you must give the following instructions to the sender bank:

Please, send Wire Transfer to Citibank N.A., Santiago, Chile.
To send it, please credit the IBAN: GB 80 CITI 1850 0805 5302 96 of Citibank N.A., Santiago, Chile, in Citibank N.A., London – United Kingdom, SWIFT:CITIGB2L, with the following payment instructions:

Beneficiary name

Beneficiary account number at Citibank N.A., Santiago, Chile
R.U.T.:8VAT)
Swift Code CITICLRM
Collapse

James (Jim) Davis
Seychelles
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Bank transfer, credit transfer, wire transfer, Terminology Oct 27, 2006

Not 100% on topic, but very close. When I worked in a Bank in the UK, a few decades ago. These things were called credit transfers. I see in dictionaries and glossaries they are sometimes called just bank transfers, while in the US, you talk about wiring the money as if it was a telegraph system. Oh and, what here in Italy are called le "co-ordinate bancarie", banking co-ordinates literally (bank, branch and account number), which I once used to punch into a computer all day years ago, and now ... See more
Not 100% on topic, but very close. When I worked in a Bank in the UK, a few decades ago. These things were called credit transfers. I see in dictionaries and glossaries they are sometimes called just bank transfers, while in the US, you talk about wiring the money as if it was a telegraph system. Oh and, what here in Italy are called le "co-ordinate bancarie", banking co-ordinates literally (bank, branch and account number), which I once used to punch into a computer all day years ago, and now I've forgotten the generic term for them.
Could be clarify the terminology? or maybe I should open another thread?

Jim Davis.
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
You might open a second bank account Oct 27, 2006

It's OK to give your bank’s address, most of my clients have it. But for safety you might want to open a second bank account and keep minimum amount on it. You could use it for such cases and credit card payments, and even if you lose that money, which is hardly possible, it won't be a great loss.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency requests my personal banking address to pay

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »