Test before knowing rate?!
Thread poster: Barbara Santos

Barbara Santos  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:55
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 31, 2006

Dear colleagues, I would like to have your opinion on this: a company asked for a test with 30 words and 5 small texts, without declaring their rate. Should one do the test without knowing the rate they are willing to pay? Thank u all. Bárbara

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:55
French to English
+ ...
give them *your* rate Oct 31, 2006

if I were you I would say 'my rate is X, before I proceed to do the test will you please confirm that you will agree to this when offering me any work?'.

This is hard to do if one is quite new to the business, but I do think it is necessary. You don't always have to accept the rates agencies give you.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:55
English to French
+ ...
It's not about the rate they are willing to pay Oct 31, 2006

It's all about the rate you think you're worth and are asking for.

As a service provider, you are supposed to give them a rate and it will be up to them to accept, decline or negotiate. The same goes for a dentist, an auto mechanic, a dating service, etc., so why not for a translator?

All the best!

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Test before knowing rate?! Oct 31, 2006

I agree with Angela. You should make sure they will accept your rates before doing the test.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
A little story... Oct 31, 2006

Last time when I was asked to do a test translation (I did maybe not more than 3 or 4 of them in my whole life) I wrote that, yes, I would do it, but wanted beforehand to make clear which were my rates. They said it was ok, I did the test and was told it was positive, but "unfortunately" they could not pay more than XXX (needless to say, less than what I had claimed).

I was so upset that I NEVER replied to their mail. They even sent a second mail to make sure I had received it....

So you see, even if you try to clarify the rates question beforehand, odd things may happen.

But anyway, don't start a test before you are sure they know your rates (or you know theirs...)!

Good luck!

[Bearbeitet am 2006-10-31 19:19]

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Agree rate before do a test Oct 31, 2006

Hello,

of course you should agree the possible rates with the
ompany before doing a test.

For the others:
We receive approx. 100 mails from possible translators per week.
Approx. 5 to 10 should make a test translation. Approx. 95 % of this "experienced" translators have serious mistakes in the test.

With kind regards

Hans

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
time wasting Oct 31, 2006

Barbara Santos wrote:

Dear colleagues, I would like to have your opinion on this: a company asked for a test with 30 words and 5 small texts, without declaring their rate. Should one do the test without knowing the rate they are willing to pay? Thank u all. Bárbara

No, apart from the reasons given by others. But it simply does not make sense to potentially waste a whole load of time, you on doing the test, them on processing it, and then everyone finds out that your are too expensive/they are too cheap:-)

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Funny thing Oct 31, 2006

At one point, I did do a few tests (actually 3) of reasonable lengths. One gave me positive feedback, two didn't even say thanks.

Then I started answering requests for tests with an email that explains that one or all of the following:

-if they were a client, I am sure they would not be pleased to hear I had a any kind of delay because I was busy doing free test,
-that I could just imagine the look on my plumber's face if I asked him to come fix my leaky faucet pro bono to ascertain his competence,
-and if they really wish for me to take a test that my minimum billing rate is X, which corresponds to X number of words.

I have received very courteous replies from each of the agencies to which I have sent such an email and gotten work from several of them.

The other posters are absolutely right. You set YOUR rates. Negotiation means dealing from a position of strength.

Good luck!

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can answer this yourself Oct 31, 2006

Just ask yourself: What rate do I wish to receive for my work?

Then: If I translate this text and the agency is not willing to pay the desired rate, what has all my work been good for?

I'd say: Nothing.

Clients who drop you because you wish to agree on some terms and conditions before you start working for them are not worth the effort anyway. They will always get difficult sooner or later.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
English to Tamil
+ ...
I never do free tests Nov 1, 2006

In my early days I did a few of them but then very early in the day, I started demanding money even for the test translations at my usual word rates and my usual condition of minimum billing for 200 words.

This avoids a lot of heart burn.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yep, agree on rate for test Nov 1, 2006

Problem solved.

Barbara Santos  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Nov 2, 2006

Thank you all:) Your comments were similar to my position in this matter and you made me think about other matters. Thank you again for your time. Bárbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test before knowing rate?!

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs