Mobile menu

Money matters.. (how much should I charge?)
Thread poster: Charis_Gr
Charis_Gr
Local time: 06:33
English to Greek
Nov 3, 2006

Hello,

I'm a new member and my question is propably the most common..i have been asked to translate a rather big document..around 100 pages from english to greek..which is also my mother language..so no problem there:)...my problem is that i have no idea on how much should i charge the client..any opinions from you professionals would be very much appreciated....

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-03 13:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
German to English
+ ...
Rates surveys Nov 3, 2006

Selected rates surveys:

www.marcprior.de/english/rates.html

HTH
Marc

P.S. Thanks Samuel - done!

[Edited at 2006-11-03 14:24]

Charis_Gr
Local time: 06:33
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Thats great but.. Nov 3, 2006

Hello, thank you for your quick reply..

I've been trying to find similar posts to mine and I too came across the link you sent me..unfortunately it seems to be a bit old and I was wondering if you could give more straightforward comments on my question...i understand that my question is too common but its answer also changes from year to year....for example how much you people would charge for something like that?...i'm a beginner so help is all i am asking:)

Thanx!!
Charis

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Add this one, Marc Nov 3, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:
Selected rates surveys:
www.marcprior.de/english/rates.html

Add this one to your list, Marc:
http://www.translators.org.za/indexes/index-tariffs-english.html

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:33
English to French
+ ...
Ask for quotes from others Nov 3, 2006

I know this will sound a little mean, but the best way to find out about this is getting in touch with other translators or agencies asking for their rates to do this job. Pretend you have a job to assign and ask for a quote.

I would ask for quotes from three agencies and three freelancers (in the language pair of your assignment, of course). This way, you will have an average of how much fellow EN to GR translators charge for this type of work, you will know how much agencies charge for it (if you are working for an agency, it will give you an indiciation of how much they are getting paid for the job you do for them) AND it will show you the difference between the freelancers' vs. the agencies' rates - which is helpful to figure out your regular going rate and to know how far you can go.

I know, it is a little mean to get LSP's all excited about a job they will never get, but it's probably the most reliable way to get an answer to your question.

And I agree, most of the LSP rate information on the Internet is dated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Money matters.. (how much should I charge?)

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs