Thread poster: Spencer Allman
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:35
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
My experience Nov 8, 2006

I don't work with many Italian agencies, but so far in the last years I couldn't complain - they normally pay (instead of the agreed 30 days:-) within at the most 40 or so.

Recently, I was contacted by a new one that stated in its PO "payment within 60 days from the end of the month". I said I would not agree to this and pretended payment to be made within 30 days. They asked whether payment could be made on the 15th of the month, as this was their payment day, which would have been
... See more
I don't work with many Italian agencies, but so far in the last years I couldn't complain - they normally pay (instead of the agreed 30 days:-) within at the most 40 or so.

Recently, I was contacted by a new one that stated in its PO "payment within 60 days from the end of the month". I said I would not agree to this and pretended payment to be made within 30 days. They asked whether payment could be made on the 15th of the month, as this was their payment day, which would have been 45 days in this case. Since it was a little amount, I agreed exceptionally, but then the 45 days turned into more than 50...

Anyway, I have just sent out my second invoice to them, let's see...

I have then found a new (Italian) customer who to my astonishment, even before I could say it myself, proposed a 30 days term payment, and he paid even 3 days earlier!!!!

I have also generally put by default on my invoices a sentence referring to the European directives and to Italian law with which I claim a delay fee if payment is made after 30 days.

So my advice: refer to European and italian law and negotiate not only your rates, but also the payment terms! Sooner or later things hopefully change even in Italy!
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Patience is a virtue in Italy Nov 8, 2006

I can only echo some of my colleagues' comments. I work with numerous Italian agencies with payment terms anywhere from 10 to 60 days. The only 90 day payment terms that I've accepted is from an agency in the same city where I live (I guess I had the feeling that I could always go and bang on their door if they didn't pay me).
The only unresolved payment issue that I've ever had to deal with was with a French agency...

Good luck,

Jennifer

maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
English
+ ...
The two Italian agencies ... Nov 8, 2006

... I have worked for are vastly different though both slow payers. One issues a PO and a monthly statement of your earnings and pays exactly when they say they will (60 days).

The other issues no PO, argues about calculation of pages translated, pays in theory at 120 DAYS but never does until up to another month of reminders and demands.

I doubt they take this approach with debtors such as their utilities providers, for example, and they don't apply such latitude
... See more
... I have worked for are vastly different though both slow payers. One issues a PO and a monthly statement of your earnings and pays exactly when they say they will (60 days).

The other issues no PO, argues about calculation of pages translated, pays in theory at 120 DAYS but never does until up to another month of reminders and demands.

I doubt they take this approach with debtors such as their utilities providers, for example, and they don't apply such latitude to their translation clients.

THe choice is ours, to use or not to use.

Cheers
Maryrose
Collapse

maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
English
+ ...
not debtors creditors Nov 8, 2006

Sorry, in my post above I meant to say I'm sure they don't take the same approach with other creditors.

Cheers

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:35
Italian to English
I have always been paid Nov 9, 2006

I agree with Claire that, despite the long payment terms, there is no reason to suggest you will not receive your money in the end. I have always been paid, although I often have to "remind" agencies. I would not say Italian agencies are worse at paying than agencies from other countries.

I have a 60 day agreement with most of my Italian agencies, and they generally pay within about 75 days (many of them seem to pay on the 15th of the month). This can be a little awkward at the begi
... See more
I agree with Claire that, despite the long payment terms, there is no reason to suggest you will not receive your money in the end. I have always been paid, although I often have to "remind" agencies. I would not say Italian agencies are worse at paying than agencies from other countries.

I have a 60 day agreement with most of my Italian agencies, and they generally pay within about 75 days (many of them seem to pay on the 15th of the month). This can be a little awkward at the beginning of the month. For example, I currently have about three months work owing to me as I haven't been paid for August yet. I also have a large sum owing from July, from an Italian agency with a 90-day agreement.

The situation is certainly far from ideal and I can see no likelihood of it changing in the near future. However, it really is common practice in Italy in all lines of business.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:35
Flemish to English
+ ...
In all sectors of the economy? Nov 9, 2006

Also when you have to pay rent, a doctor, a dentist, a lawyer, a barber, an airline, the butcher, the baker, at a shop, on the market or utilities?
So, in Italy you go to a dentist and tell him/her that he or she will be paid in 90 days.
You buy a car and you pay 60-90 days later? You fill up the tank of the car and you pay 60-90 days later?
I would love to be a passenger of Allitalia: Fly now, pay 60-90 days later.
Why not start an import/export of Italian leather-goods
... See more
Also when you have to pay rent, a doctor, a dentist, a lawyer, a barber, an airline, the butcher, the baker, at a shop, on the market or utilities?
So, in Italy you go to a dentist and tell him/her that he or she will be paid in 90 days.
You buy a car and you pay 60-90 days later? You fill up the tank of the car and you pay 60-90 days later?
Why not start an import/export of Italian leather-goods? I will order them now and pay after 90 days when the goods are sold. No risk for me whatsoever.

[Edited at 2006-11-09 13:12]

[Edited at 2006-11-09 13:14]
Collapse

Sally Winch
Sally Winch  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In all sectors of the economy Nov 9, 2006

People working for government bodies such as universities, or lawyers providing legal aid often get paid 18 months later in Italy ... and as others have pointed out, the long periods are to protect small agencies from late-paying clients (some of the worst are major companies and top publishers).

Other people on supposedly flexible contracts in Italy are treated appallingly in terms of job security and pay - the rights temps have had in the UK for some years based on European law
... See more
People working for government bodies such as universities, or lawyers providing legal aid often get paid 18 months later in Italy ... and as others have pointed out, the long periods are to protect small agencies from late-paying clients (some of the worst are major companies and top publishers).

Other people on supposedly flexible contracts in Italy are treated appallingly in terms of job security and pay - the rights temps have had in the UK for some years based on European law being a dream to them.

So freelancers don't do too badly comparatively speaking, and as with everything in Italy, it is up to you to enforce your rights and push the point that professionalism is worth rewarding. You can gain good negotiating skills this way.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, you are right! Nov 9, 2006

Williamson wrote:

Why not start an import/export of Italian leather-goods? I will order them now and pay after 90 days when the goods are sold. No risk for me whatsoever.

-

We never need to pay immediately, everyone gives credit without any interest here, even rent, phone and electricity companies, and we can pay at our convenience:-D

Sounds nice, doesn't it?

So you see: wouldn't it be for the low rates of the Italian agencies, this country were perfect for a translator who usually has to wait for his payments to live in

P.S. I used to live in Italy, but I was so unnerved by people - seen on my profile - looking for mothertongue translators from Italian into German living in Italy (wonder why?) that I felt obliged to emigrate "nowhere" for Google (and for ProZ). I don't want to work for peanuts and spend my time explaining this.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-09 19:04]

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-09 19:18]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Most of mine pay at 90 days Nov 9, 2006

But I never have to remind them about it - the payment is always in when it should be.
The only agency I've ever had to send constant reminders to was English (also some of the worst rates in the business, and a pretty poor BB record). Strangely, I don't work for them any more...

Anyway, while it'd be nice to be paid more quickly, once you've got your business built up the cashflow stays the same, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Unless, as Philippe suggests, one
... See more
But I never have to remind them about it - the payment is always in when it should be.
The only agency I've ever had to send constant reminders to was English (also some of the worst rates in the business, and a pretty poor BB record). Strangely, I don't work for them any more...

Anyway, while it'd be nice to be paid more quickly, once you've got your business built up the cashflow stays the same, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Unless, as Philippe suggests, one of them goes bankrupt!

But until that happens, as Claire and Sonia say, just go with the flow. Or don't work with Italian agencies. It's your choice.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian agencies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »