US English to British English - applicable rates
Thread poster: Ivana UK

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
Member (2005)
Italian to English
Nov 15, 2006

Can anyone give me some advice on the going rates for editing US English into British English?

I'm fully aware that no-one likes to openly discuss rates in a forum - what I need is some indication (e.g. as a percentage of standard translating rates from a foreign language into English or some other similar method of comparison) on how to calculate such rates.

I've run a few searches both online and within the Proz forum but haven't come up with anything much.

I've handled a few such projects in the past and always had the niggling sensation that I undercut myself, so any suggestions from anyone who has experience of either US to British English (or British English to US English) are much appreciated.

Ivana

[Edited at 2006-11-15 00:35]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Editing rates Nov 15, 2006

Hi Ivana,

I once did a localization into Latin American Spanish of a software originally localized for the Spanish (Spain) market and I applied my proofreading/editing rates.

Regards,
Marina

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Why not apply your hourly rate? Nov 15, 2006

I have never done this, but if I was asked to do so, I would charge my hourly proofing rate. That way you can't feel cheated.

CathyFS  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Nov 15, 2006

I have done similar work at my hourly rate. It's the only way I agreed to take the job on!

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:51
English to Indonesian
+ ...
That's right, Nov 15, 2006

just charge them hourly with your normal editing rate.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:51
English to Spanish
Question Dec 20, 2006

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding the hourly rates for localisation: how many words app. is a translator expected to localise from one variant of the language to another (eg: American to British English, like Ivana posted)??

I ask because I saw a job offer that surprised me, but to be honest I don't know for certain if the outsourcer's expectations are standard or not.

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US English to British English - applicable rates

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs