"Moneybookers" scam - fake 'You got cash'
Thread poster: Ivan Eikås Skjøstad

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 24, 2006

Be aware of a a fake "You got cash" that looks exactly the same as the real email sent by Moneybookers.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-24 10:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hepburn  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Got it too Nov 24, 2006

Yes, indeed, I received that mail this morning . Although I was not aware that anyone owed me 275$, I thought one of my defaulting debtors had made a part payment. But no trace of any transfers on the site.

And stupidly I sent back an e-mail to the given address, asking for explanation....

I hope no harm will come out of that.

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:09
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Internet Protection Software Can Help Nov 24, 2006

Thanks for the tip. I just purchased Norton Internet Security 2007 and it has a "fraud monitoring" feature. I tried it out yesterday on an e-mail that I keep getting from "E-Bay" telling me my account is going to be suspended (would be more convincing if I had an E-Bay account but that's another story...). Anyway, I clicked on the link to try it out and my screen immediately when to a Norton message that said the website I was attempting to go to was fraudulent. I don't know if it works for all websites but probably for the big names (Paypal, E-bay, etc). I don't use Moneybookers but it probably has a address you can forward those messages to as well. I do that when I get fake Paypal messages and they always reply within 24 hours confirming that the message was indeed fake and that they are working to dismantle the site it linked to.

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I have really strange experience Nov 24, 2006

Last month, I received an email from Moneybookers that asked me of my relationship to the cash sender while in fact I have no transaction at all with him. It is said that I have received US$70 in my account.
The staff said that the sender filed his complaint and asked Moneybookers to cancell the transfer. It has been cancelled.
I completely have no idea why this case happened.

[Edited at 2006-11-24 10:47]

Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:09
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
Password theft Nov 26, 2006

I would say this is one modus operandi of password theft.

A few months ago, there was a commotion with Yahoo accounts, many people without knowingly just clicked on messages sent to their yahoo accounts and people just followed links and filled in their PASSWORD to the links. The result was "password theft".

My lesson learnt from this was...NEVER give password. One thing to notice is their address, if it's suspecting or you are in doubt leave it, usually if it's genuine their address uses httpS...the big S (secure) is the eye catching indicator.

Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
Dutch to Swedish
+ ... Nov 27, 2006

The address where to send fake letters etc. is, I just checked my last (real) email from them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Moneybookers" scam - fake 'You got cash'

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs