Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:49
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2006

It was not the first time today, and I suppose it will not be the last, that I receive an e-mail from a colleague (previously unknown to me) offering me translations between two major European languages at the rate of EUR 0.03 per word (whether source or target is not of relevance, given this rate).

I am extremely unlikely to dish out a translation to anyone offering that kind of rate. I am much more likely to dish out a translation to someone who demands rates that are slightly above average.

Why? Well, because I wish the colleague to whom I pass on a project to take responsibility for it and produce a good quality translation. In my opinion, to offer this kind of rate is to state outright: "I can produce a rough translation for you out of the top of my head, but I am not taking any responsibility for the result". This, however, is not the type of service I require, given that I am always very busy.

Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:49
French to English
+ ...
yes indeed Nov 24, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I am extremely unlikely to dish out a translation to anyone offering that kind of rate. I am much more likely to dish out a translation to someone who demands rates that are slightly above average.

Why? Well, because I wish the colleague to whom I pass on a project to take responsibility for it and produce a good quality translation. In my opinion, to offer this kind of rate is to state outright: "I can produce a rough translation for you out of the top of my head, but I am not taking any responsibility for the result". This, however, is not the type of service I require, given that I am always very busy.

Astrid

Exactly!

Moreover, if we as translators struggle to have the profession recognized, respected, and remunerated accordingly, we should at least try to do all of the above amongst ourselves -- "do unto others" and all that jazz.

have a good evening!
Patricia

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation at proofreading rates?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs