Mobile menu

How to charge for pages with diagrams and some written matter
Thread poster: salman
Local time: 19:20
English to Japanese
Nov 1, 2002

sorry to moderators. As I did not know where to post this, I posted previously in Japanese forum, but now posting the same query in Money matters. Hope this is the correct forum for this.

request everybody to give assist me.

This is a Japanese to English software translation, thatfs why I am asking in Japanese forum.

I completed a software translation from Japanese to English of about 110 pages. Let me give you an account of the content in the pages. Most of the pages contain written matter of both technical and business. About 40% of pages contain diagram occupying about half the page and written lines of about 5 to 6 lines per page. I gave the pricing in Indian rupees of per page count. After delivering the document to Customer Company, I told that though there are 110 pages but since there are diagrams also, Ifll calculate it for 95 pages. The company expects me to reduce the rates further which in my opinion is not fair, as I have to meet all expenditures incurred in completing the project. I have not talked anything to him subsequent to informing him about the total amount, but he said he will get back for the charges. The charges I put are very nominal. I gave the page pricing keeping in mind the ongoing rates. He says that he will pay me for what is appearing in typed word document, it comes to about 72 pages. But I told him translation is calculated according to source page and not target page.

Please advice me how to go about it for charges per page, charges when there are diagrams in a page coupled with written matter, how to convince him to come to my terms.

An important note: The translation is for Japanese project which they are currently doing. May be that they will have big business with it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:50
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
See my reply on the Japanese forum Nov 3, 2002

See my reply on the Japanese forum.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your contract. Nov 5, 2002

You and your client have to agree whether your rates are based upon pages, lines or words, source or target text, with or without discount for repetitions etc.

But you have to agree BEFORE you do the project, it cannot be changed by one party afterwards. This is what your client has to understand. Which objections will he have next time??

Maybe your client is not able to analyze the project properly in advance, but you have to do it to find a \"fair\" rate for your quotation. Those pictures take time, and time is money. How much money? - analyze it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for pages with diagrams and some written matter

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs