NGO provided scholarship - now asking for discount. Should I tell them about the scholarship?
Thread poster: xxxEvert Mendez
xxxEvert Mendez
Local time: 00:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2006

Hi, dear Prozian colleagues:

Well, this is my situation. When I was at college I applied for a scholarship at an international NGO and I was provided this financial scholarship to finish my studies.

Now, I was contacted by somebody of this organization in order to have some documents translated. I did translate the documents. Now they are asking me for a discount alleging that they are starting to send me some more documents and they may become a regular client of mine, but I still haven´t tell them that I was given a scholarship by their organization. Question, Should I tell them that I was given a scholarship by their agency. I don´t know just to make me sure to have this client.

Regards,

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-28 06:20]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:44
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Scholarship and Discount Request Nov 28, 2006

Hi Evert,

What is the importance of telling them that you were given a scholarship by your potential client?

Will it prevent them from asking for discount?

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 02:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another scenario ...? Nov 28, 2006

Hi Evert,

Have you considered the possibility that the NGO is asking for a discount precisely because they helped you financially with your studies?

They scratched your back - now they want you to scratch their's.

Regardless of the motives, if I were you I would check all the conditions that applied to the scholarship to see if they cover this kind of 'arrangement', and then make enquiries with relevant departments within the NGO to see if any linkeage between scholarships and potential work opportunities is permitted by the organization's internal rules.

MediaMatrix

xxxEvert Mendez
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, they do not know that I was a scholarship holder Nov 28, 2006

Dear Mediamatrix:

In reply to your comment, well they actually do not know that I was given a scholarship, because there is a new staff, but there are some old workers.

But I am affraid that they find it out and tell me you should have told it!

So once again is it necessary to tell them that I was given a scholarship?

Cilian O'Tuama
Local time: 08:44
German to English
+ ...
If you're afraid... Nov 28, 2006

Evert Mendez wrote:

But I am affraid that they find it out and tell me you should have told it!

If you're afraid of sensitive information becoming public, you shouldn't really be talking about it here.

As far as I know, anyone in the world with modern resources has access to this page.

Ciao,
C

Lesley Clayton
France
Local time: 08:44
French to English
+ ...
What's your scholarship got to do with it? Nov 29, 2006

Evert Mendez wrote:

Now, I was contacted by somebody of this organization in order to have some documents translated. I did translate the documents. Now they are asking me for a discount alleging that they are starting to send me some more documents and they may become a regular client of mine, ...

You were contacted to do a translation. Presumably you quoted a price and they accepted it. You did the translation and delivered it. Now the client is trying to change the previously agreed terms (i.e. price) after the job has been done. Is that right?

If that is the case, then you had a contract for this job and you have fulfilled your part of it. It is now up to your client to fulfill their part of it (i.e. pay you the mutually agreed price). (How would they feel if you wanted to increase the price after delivery?)

However, there is nothing to stop you negotiating a discount on future work for this client if that is what you want to do.

That's the way I see it and I don't see what your scholarship has got to do with an agreed contract.

bigedsenior
Local time: 23:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Give them the discount! Nov 29, 2006

My first impression was to tell you to stand your ground. After all, a deal is deal. But, after rereading your postings and seeing your less than perfect English, you should give them a healthy discount. Consider yourself lucky to be getting work from them.

Lydianette Soza
Belize
English to Spanish
+ ...
Comment Nov 29, 2006

I agree with Lesley. What I don´t like is the sort of commentary that makes Bigsenior. We are here to support and encourage each other.

Attaboy!

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:44
English to Indonesian
+ ...
You are right Lydianette Nov 30, 2006

Lydianette Soza wrote:

I agree with Lesley. What I don´t like is the sort of commentary that makes Bigsenior. We are here to support and encourage each other.

Attaboy!

Indeed, I understand the point of view of Bigedsenior. Maybe, he/she just would express a straightforward view.

However, for the sake of encouraging and supporting each other, our wording had better be more refined and nicer to hear. By doing so, the message will be delivered, but the addressee receives it happily.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 02:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
There are (now) three questions here: Dec 1, 2006

- Is it OK for the client to try to change the conditions after the job has been finished?

The answer is a clear NO.

- Is it OK to link work opportunities to the scholarships?

Only to the extent set out in any relevant rules governing the scholarship, hence my earlier suggestion about checking this with the relevant department of the NGO (not with whoever is suggesting you might get more work in the future - unless that happens to be the same department ...).

- Are comments such as those from bigedsenior 'off-side' here?

No - provided they are well-researched and respectful, since in many situations the use of plain language is the best way to be kind and helpful. But in this case there's a problem: we don't know (do we?) whether Evert has been translating 'to' or 'from' English, hence we don't know to what extent perfect writing ability in English is necessary.

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NGO provided scholarship - now asking for discount. Should I tell them about the scholarship?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs