N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:02
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2006

Hello everyone,
Does anyone here master the intricacies of the Paypal system and its large variety of fee systems?

I'm used to translating very complicated texts, tax codes, contracts, etc. But I've never seen a text as warped and confusing as the explanation of their systems. You think you understood it but the reality is all different.
They are real masters at the bait and switch.

We use our Paypal account to accept membership payments and donations, as well as pay out services done for us. We've already been forced to upgrade once due to limits, but it seems we've come upon the same problem once again.

We need to put the money in our bank or pay it out, but it seems Paypal has put a limit on what we can take out...permanently.....unless we upgrade....again.

Due to the Total Withdrawal Limit and the Total Sending Limit, our money is stuck in limbo....unless we upgrade to an Expanded Use program.

Can anyone tell us what would be the downside of upgrading? Still more fees to pay?
If yes, then does that mean that we will no longer be able to do anything except receive money unless we acquiesce to upgrade.

What's important for us is to minimize all the fees and charges. I thought I understood the system when we upgraded the first time due to money limits, but then we were surprised by all manner of small fees applied to each movement of money. I don't want this to happen again.

I will welcome all tips and information or even a very layman's explanation of their fee system......help!

Thanks,
Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:02
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Expanded Use is not an upgrade Nov 30, 2006

I am not an "expert" on PayPal's systems, but I had my share of experience with their complicated and oftentimes useless help texts, and unexpected "surprises".
First of all, I assume you have a Premier or a Business Account with them, a Personal account would not work for the type of business you are doing. If you want to receive creadit card payments (which I assume you do) you need at least a Premier account.
As for their fees, here is their fee schedule, this is pretty straightforward, I think. (I think it is better if you are logged on to Paypal when using the links I give you here.)

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees

My experience is that wherever you see a range for percentages, they will apply the highest - at least that's what happened in my case. (2.9% fee is very high IMHO.)

You may want to look into Moneybookers, their fee schedule looks better and their limits are more convenient, too.

As for the Expanded Use - you wrote you are required to "upgrade". I don't think this is another account-type, they are probably referring to the "Expanded Use Enrollment", which is a procedure that you have to complete. As far as I know, this is a security procedure they use when you want to add a credit card or possibly some other funding source to your Paypal account.
Here is how they explain why they are doing this:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help&eloc=1074&loc=1012&unique_id=71358&source_page=_home&flow=

They are going to put a small charge on your card (they call it the Expanded Use Fee), along with a code. When you receive your credit card statement in the mail, or if you check it online a few days later, you will see that code. Then, you can enter it and complete the procedure for adding your credit card.
The Expanded Use Fee will be returned to you (as a credit on your PayPal account) after the first time you send money.
There is an explanation here:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help&eloc=1078&loc=1012&unique_id=71352&source_page=_home&flow=

So, as I see, there is no downside to complete this Expanded Enrollment, this will not increase your transaction fees.

I am not sure what to say about the sending and receiving limits you mentioned, because I don't know what type of account you actually have, and what level of ID verification you have completed with Paypal.

In all cases, you can do two things:
1. Look into Moneybookers
2. Call Paypal on the phone, last time I talked to them the phone rep was knowledgeble, understood their systems, and actually admitted that their online explanations are not very good.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone

Hope this helps
Katalin

[Módosítva: 2006-11-30 02:55]

Olga Dubeshka  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
non-profit Nov 30, 2006

Hi Natalie,

I have been usong Paypal for a while and think their fees are a little over-the-top too. However, because clients prefer
it to a lot of other means of payments I have to put up with it.

I have another idea. If you are a not-for-profit charitable organization ( I am not sure if you are 100% , but Translators4kids sure sounds so ) you might talk to Paypal
about it. I know for certain that they provide free of charge services for KIVA , an international charity group that gives micro loans to the most impoverished population.

I trupy hope this helps.

Olga

France
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz and non-profits Nov 30, 2006

Hi Olga,
I was surprised when you said they sponsor KIVA, since we have already tried contacting them....several times by email and phone.... to see if they could waive the fees for our non-profit.
They told us that they absolutely do not perform such services.

If you are sure that KIVA has this, do you know someone in the organization I could speak to? I would like to ask them how they succeeded and who their contact was in Paypal.

Thanks.
Natalia

[Edited at 2006-11-30 09:39]

France
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice options Nov 30, 2006

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

I am not an "expert" on PayPal's systems, but I had my share of experience with their complicated and oftentimes useless help texts, and unexpected "surprises".

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

You may want to look into Moneybookers, their fee schedule looks better and their limits are more convenient, too.

Thank you, we will! Are there any difficulties with Moneybookers though? Like, does it cover as many countries as Paypal?

... there is no downside to complete this Expanded Enrollment, this will not increase your transaction fees.

Thank you, Katalin, for your tips. The first time I had thought it was a security "uprade", but then we started having more fees. Yes, we are being asked to complete the Expanded Enrollment.
I feel better with your reassurance that this will not increase our transaction fees.

I knew I'd find the help we needed here!
thank you all.
Natalia

Olga Dubeshka  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
about kiva Nov 30, 2006

Unfortunately I have no personal contacts in kiva. I am pretty sure I heard about Paypal waiving fees for them on a PBS programm about kiva. However, when I went on their website (www.kiva.org ) I could not find any confirmation
of the fact ... just that all the donations (loans) are made through Paypal.

But you could probably contact kiva and ask if this practice has been discontinued or not - they might want to share info with another non-profit .

BTW, I went on translators4kids but could not register as a
volunteer because " the page was under construction".
Otherwise, I would be glad to help out.

France
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
contacting kiva Nov 30, 2006

Thanks Olga,
I will do what I can. we had contacted the Paypal people in Germany already without success, so I guess we'll just have to try to contact them in other countries until we win them over.

Yes, the registration form was taken offline temporarily because it was not secure against hackers.

In the meantime, if you want to volunteer, you can send an email to ( operations (AT) translators4kids (dot) com ) and include your name, country, languages.

thanks for helping!
take care,
Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators4Kids needs Paypal master!

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums