Tax matters - working in France for an agency in Spain
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:48
French to English
Dec 4, 2006

Hello

I'm a British freelance translator, living in France. I've just completed some work for a Spanish translation agency & they told me I don't need to put my TVA (French equivalent of UK VAT) on my bill to them because in Spain they don't have to pay it.

Is this correct? Surely at the end of the fiancial year it will arise when I have to declare my earnings to the French taw office.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
It's not the good reason Dec 4, 2006

but it is true that when you work for a foreign country inside Europe (in my case, I live in France but may work for Italian firms) you do not charge VAT.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
You don't put VAT but you need your and their VAT number Dec 4, 2006

You don't charge TVA but you need to write down your TVA number in the European format (FR XXX ...) and also the TVA number of your client on your invoice.

More information on the French Tax website or at
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/professionnels

You can also ask your local tax office (Service impots des entreprises) , they have a brochure about charging VAT in and out the EU when you are a "profession libérale" .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax matters - working in France for an agency in Spain

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs