Question about solicitors/collection agencies in the UK
Thread poster: silviantonia

silviantonia  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2006

I will have to file suit in the UK soon over a matter of invoices (several) overdue from a certain company. I have been promised payment in a week, but it may not happen; this is a company with a very bad Blue Book rating, but I had done (and been paid for) a few thousand dollars of work for them, in several languages, and have pages of Skype conversations with the principal talking about the high quality of my work, blah blah, and how they would pay me ahead of everyone else (which is a sort of caveat emptor because of their rating).

Since I am in the US, I don't necessarily want to spend a lot of money. Do any of you have the name of good reliable collection agencies in London, or a reasonable solicitor that will not charge an arm, a leg and half a kidney?

If things were different, in the US I would file a small claims case and handle it myself, but the cost of flying to the UK makes that impractical.

Direct link Reply with quote

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Small claims court Dec 5, 2006

this is the standard procedure.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/crime/law/smallclaimscourt.shtml

Search the forums too. I remember colleagues talking about their experience with this procedure.

Good luck,
L

inmb  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:38
English to Polish
+ ...
you may use freelance site to check it almost FOC Dec 5, 2006

Hi,

You may post a job on GAF (getafreelancer.com) in legal advice section. If you are not familiar with this site, I would suggest that you clearly state that you are looking for UK-based solicitor of certain specialization - you will anyway receive some offers from Indian and African outsourcers, but those can easily be ignored ("hidden").

There are quite good chances of finding right person in the UK and/or getting some more information while discussing the bids.

GAF will charge you $5 for posting a job, but it will be refunded when you choose a winning bid or cancel your bid without choosing the winner.

Good luck!

Mariusz

Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
German to English
no small claims court for non-residents Dec 6, 2006

Lucia Cavalli wrote:

Search the forums too. I remember colleagues talking about their experience with this procedure.

Good luck,
L

You need to be resident in the UK to take action in the small claims court.

I'm afraid I don't know of any good collection agencies - I'd just look on yell.co.uk and pick one that appeared reputable and replied promptly to emails, and was paid if successful only.

Why does it need to be in London?

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 01:38
Turkish to English
+ ...
Debt collection agency in the UK Dec 6, 2006

Well, I made a note of the following UK-based debt collection agency's e-mail just in case I may need it, although I have no actual experience of their work:
info@1st-national.co.uk
It is my understanding that most reputable debt collection agencies nowadays provide a global service, so I think you could also make inquiries with agencies local to you.
Good luck!

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Worthless undertakings Dec 6, 2006

silviantonia wrote:

I (...) have pages of Skype conversations with the principal talking about the high quality of my work, blah blah, and how they would pay me ahead of everyone else (which is a sort of caveat emptor because of their rating).

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Just pointing this out for the sake of others faced with similar promises: an undertaking under these circumstances would probably be unenforceable. If the company in question is experiencing serious financial difficulties - and is technically insolvent - any payment made to you under these circumstances could technically be set aside on the grounds of being an undue preference.

Motto: don't accept undertakings of this kind; steer clear of agencies with bad ratings altogether.

Unfortunately I can't assist with the name of a collection agency/solicitor but would advise you carefully consider the amount of your claim and weigh up that up against legal and extrajudicial costs before proceeding. True many agencies only charge you if they succeed, but their cut is often excessive.

Good luck
Debbie

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you and have a wonderful holiday! Dec 22, 2006

Lucia Cavalli wrote:

Good luck,
L

Thank you very much for your response! I am sorry it took me so long to write... I have been staying off my feet (including the computer) for health reasons...

I will look at all of the wonderful suggestions made by all of you very generous colleagues and take steps after the New Year.

A wonderful holiday season to you!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

inmb wrote:

Hi,

You may post a job on GAF (getafreelancer.com) in legal advice section. If you are not familiar with this site, I would suggest that you clearly state that you are looking for UK-based solicitor of certain specialization - you will anyway receive some offers from Indian and African outsourcers, but those can easily be ignored ("hidden").

There are quite good chances of finding right person in the UK and/or getting some more information while discussing the bids.

GAF will charge you $5 for posting a job, but it will be refunded when you choose a winning bid or cancel your bid without choosing the winner.

Good luck!

Mariusz

Wow, that is a wonderful idea! It is almost like bobbing for lawyers instead of apples...

Thank you very much; I am sorry it took me so long to write... I have been staying off my feet (including the computer) for health reasons...

A wonderful holiday season to you!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Tim Drayton wrote:

Well, I made a note of the following UK-based debt collection agency's e-mail just in case I may need it, although I have no actual experience of their work:
info@1st-national.co.uk
It is my understanding that most reputable debt collection agencies nowadays provide a global service, so I think you could also make inquiries with agencies local to you.
Good luck!

I will look at local agencies as well, but here in the US most don[t want to touch this type of case.

Thanks for responding and I am sorry it took me so long to write... I have been staying off my feet (including the computer) for health reasons...

The best of the holidays to you!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Eva Middleton wrote:

Lucia Cavalli wrote:

Good luck,
L

You need to be resident in the UK to take action in the small claims court.

I'm afraid I don't know of any good collection agencies - I'd just look on yell.co.uk and pick one that appeared reputable and replied promptly to emails, and was paid if successful only.

Why does it need to be in London?

Don't know that it has to be in London, but the agency is based there... I am sorry it took me so long to write... I have been staying off my feet (including the computer) for health reasons...

Well, thanks for your reply, and have the best of the season!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

xxxLawyer-Lingu wrote:

silviantonia wrote:

I (...) have pages of Skype conversations with the principal talking about the high quality of my work, blah blah, and how they would pay me ahead of everyone else (which is a sort of caveat emptor because of their rating).

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Just pointing this out for the sake of others faced with similar promises: an undertaking under these circumstances would probably be unenforceable. If the company in question is experiencing serious financial difficulties - and is technically insolvent - any payment made to you under these circumstances could technically be set aside on the grounds of being an undue preference.

Motto: don't accept undertakings of this kind; steer clear of agencies with bad ratings altogether.

Unfortunately I can't assist with the name of a collection agency/solicitor but would advise you carefully consider the amount of your claim and weigh up that up against legal and extrajudicial costs before proceeding. True many agencies only charge you if they succeed, but their cut is often excessive.

Good luck
Debbie

Debbie, at this point it is one of those things... I would rather give the entire amount to the collecting agency/solicitor than allow the mockery... And I don't know that the agency is experiencing any difficulty other than bad faith ad infinitum...

Thanks for your response! I am sorry it took me so long to write... I have been staying off my feet (including the computer) for health reasons...

Have a great holiday season!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about solicitors/collection agencies in the UK

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs