Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:05
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 6, 2006

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a piece of good, reliable, easy-to-use, invoicing software?

Cheers,

Dan

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:05
Spanish
+ ...
Translation Office 3000 Dec 6, 2006

It doesn't just creates and tracks your invoices but it also helps you to manage your projects. There are several threads about TO 3000 with lots of feedback.

It's not free but it's well worth the price. You can download a demo on the website.

http://www.translation3000.com/

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:05
English to French
+ ...
I second Claudia's answer Dec 6, 2006

Enough good can not be said of this software. I will just give you one argument: it is the only accounting software tailor-made for freelance translators. Although a myriad of accounting software can be found, among which many excellent ones, this is the only one made from the point of view of a freelancer. Therefore, there are functions in it that specifically help people like you and me, who are freelance translators. Also, features that are cvommon amongst accounting software were arranged to... See more
Enough good can not be said of this software. I will just give you one argument: it is the only accounting software tailor-made for freelance translators. Although a myriad of accounting software can be found, among which many excellent ones, this is the only one made from the point of view of a freelancer. Therefore, there are functions in it that specifically help people like you and me, who are freelance translators. Also, features that are cvommon amongst accounting software were arranged to suit people who freelance.

You may want to check if you can find version 7 - some of the people who used version 7 and then switched to version 8 are not as happy with it now as they were before. This doesn't mean that version 8 is no good - just that version 7 may better suit your needs. I am also guessing that version 7 would cost a little less. I still use version 7 and don't see why I should upgrade - it perfectly suits me.

All the best!
Collapse

Anne Spitzmueller
Anne Spitzmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:05
English to German
TO 3000 - the perfect choice Dec 6, 2006

Hi Daniel,

I can only agree to what has already been said.

I purchased version 8.0 about 6 months ago and it is a really efficient and easy-to-use tool which I don't want to miss anymore.

Anne

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just invoicing...? Dec 6, 2006

Daniel Brennan wrote:
Can anyone recommend a piece of good, reliable, easy-to-use, invoicing software?

Oh, sure, the big three can be mentioned, but none of them are easy to use initially. What do you want this invoicing program to do? Run your office for you, or simply automate invoicing a little more than Excel can?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Five to investigate Dec 6, 2006

Daniel Brennan wrote:

Here are five you can investigate. Good luck!

Translation Office 3000 (30 day trial, EUR 159.00)
http://www.translation3000.com/
Very comprehensive program with quite a following on the web.

Translators' Office Manager (30 day trial, EUR 165.00)
http://www.jovo-soft.de/
A well-known solution, but I have very little experience with it.

Customer Pro-File (trial available, USD 59.00)
http://www.landsw.com/
A simpler solution than the above two, but it does invoicing and keeps record of your clients.

Translation Job Registry (freeware, requires MS Access)
http://www.greek-translations.net/tjr.htm
I have never been able to get this one to work, but I'm not an MS Access boffin either.

Project-Translation (GPL)
http://www.project-open.com/solution/translation/index.html
An opensource solution... requires hair on your teeth to install.

Let us know which one you've decided on.

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Download is not possible Dec 6, 2006

I tried to download the application from "greek-translation" and it does not work. Clicking on the link to download (on the very site), a message shows up saying: page is not available. Perhaps they removed it.
However Excel is good enough for invoices and already has a model of it which must only be filled in.

[Edited at 2006-12-06 17:06]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I still use practicount.. click.. click ..and Dec 6, 2006

HI! sometimes I also use a self generated templete linked with a macro for word based documents. Else I just take the analysis value past to invoice template. Best Brandis

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:05
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks.... Dec 6, 2006

... for your tips. I have just one more question: translation/interpreting accounts for only 50% of my work. The other 50% is journalism. Would Translation3000 be suitable for raising invoices for non-translation specific projects? I guess that it would....

Cheers,
Dan

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TO3000 for work other than translation Dec 6, 2006

Yes, Daniel, you can use it for other stuff too.

In TO3000, you can define projects as you wish (you can name job types as you wish and add indefinite project descriptions). Also, you can charge any way you want: by word, by project, by line, flat fee, etc. These are also user-defined.

What I like about TO is the fact that you can define everything yourself, the program is not locked for this. So, for example, in project definitions, I added adaptation, although it was
... See more
Yes, Daniel, you can use it for other stuff too.

In TO3000, you can define projects as you wish (you can name job types as you wish and add indefinite project descriptions). Also, you can charge any way you want: by word, by project, by line, flat fee, etc. These are also user-defined.

What I like about TO is the fact that you can define everything yourself, the program is not locked for this. So, for example, in project definitions, I added adaptation, although it was not part of the selectable items by default. You also have quote, job and invoice templates that you can modify to your needs. In the help files, there are detailed explanations on this so you know which field is for what and how it works.

Like I said, the program was made with translation in mind, but it can very well be adapted to other needs, one of them being programming (I think this is mentioned somewhere in the documentation). If you work in journalism, this software should still be as convenient as it is for translation.

Edit: just wanted to add that, despite the fact that all software has a learning curve, TO3000 is by far the one program I found I could learn almost instantly. Also, if you want to adapt it to other work than translation, as long as you know how to use it, it is extremely easy to adapt.

[Edited at 2006-12-06 18:04]
Collapse

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
Spanish to English
Can TO 3000 be backed up easily? Dec 6, 2006

I work from a laptop that I carry with me to some shady corners of the world. As such, I have all my email, software installers and licenses, and documents backed up on a remote server. That way, when my laptop finds it's way into the bilge water on some boat, or running down some street in the arms of someone who apparently needs it more than me (crackheads), I can reload all my data into a commercially available laptop (I've got it down to a science now, now under 6 hours depending on bandwi... See more
I work from a laptop that I carry with me to some shady corners of the world. As such, I have all my email, software installers and licenses, and documents backed up on a remote server. That way, when my laptop finds it's way into the bilge water on some boat, or running down some street in the arms of someone who apparently needs it more than me (crackheads), I can reload all my data into a commercially available laptop (I've got it down to a science now, now under 6 hours depending on bandwidth). Not the most elegant solution, but I like to travel.

So my question is, does TO3000 have a single file (or very few files) that I can upload to a server each day? My invoices in the past are all pdfs that get saved on the mail server under my "sent mail", but that does nothing for tracking my projects, keeping my taxes in line, etc. My invoices are starting to pile up. I won't get through 2007 using my antiquated system.

SaludoZ!
Jason
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TO3000 backups Dec 6, 2006

Yes, Jason, the backup feature is there and it is quite simple and handy.

When I first started using TO, I only had a desktop. I have since then bought a laptop and needed to migrate my TO files to it. I am happy to say that my fear of the operation was totally dispersed within two minutes, because that's how long it took to get my TO files from the desktop to the laptop. You can backup to CD if you prefer the conventional method, but you can also just put it on your network if you
... See more
Yes, Jason, the backup feature is there and it is quite simple and handy.

When I first started using TO, I only had a desktop. I have since then bought a laptop and needed to migrate my TO files to it. I am happy to say that my fear of the operation was totally dispersed within two minutes, because that's how long it took to get my TO files from the desktop to the laptop. You can backup to CD if you prefer the conventional method, but you can also just put it on your network if you have one. TO simply creates a proprietary backup file, which you can open within TO and it installs fast and without any complication.

The TO3000 package is really complete and no detail was left out, in my opinion. If you are worried about backups, there really is no reason - it works really well.

[Edited at 2006-12-06 20:55]
Collapse

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
Spanish to English
Thanks Victoria Dec 6, 2006

That was the last question I had about it. Once again the ProZ community comes through faster than emails to the vendor.

I'm rolling out TO3000 for 2007. Who wants the first invoice?

CheerZ!
Jason

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translator's Office is great software but... Dec 17, 2006

...way too limited if you want to do the whole accounts of your company. I'm talking other ledgers like car costs, investment costs, inventory costs and things like assets & liabilities, profits & losses and balance sheets.

This is the reason why I use Exact: http://www.exactsoftware.com

Price is about 1600 euro plus another 250 euro per year.

Of course this kind of s
... See more
...way too limited if you want to do the whole accounts of your company. I'm talking other ledgers like car costs, investment costs, inventory costs and things like assets & liabilities, profits & losses and balance sheets.

This is the reason why I use Exact: http://www.exactsoftware.com

Price is about 1600 euro plus another 250 euro per year.

Of course this kind of software is in an entirely different league, but it's worth looking into if you want more than what TO has to offer.

[Edited at 2006-12-17 12:53]
Collapse

Michael Kazakov
Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:05
English to Russian
+ ...
MS Office Accounting 2007 Jan 7, 2007

Hi Dan,

Daniel Brennan wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Dan

Another interesting software worth checking is MS Office Accounting Express 2007 (http://www.ideawins.com/).

Pros:
Free (even Microsoft is releasing free products!)
Very clean and intuitive interface
Integration with Paypal system

Cons:
Space/RAM requirements (both 1 Gb).

Best regards and happy 2007 to everyone...
Michael

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »