RATES for Translations for Text-Book Publishers
Thread poster: Francaaz
Francaaz
English to Spanish
Dec 7, 2006

I have been offered a job translating a social science book (grade 5) from English to Spanish. Each book has 60 pages, with around 150 words a page, and there are several books. I have to translate it and have someone proofread it.
The translation is for a mid-size Publisher in the US. How much should I charge per page: for translation and hiring a proofreader.
Gracias...

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge High Dec 7, 2006

After all, these textbook publishers make a fortune on their stuff, scamming the public.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same as other rates Dec 8, 2006

Francaaz wrote:
I have been offered a job translating a social science book (grade 5) from English to Spanish. Each book has 60 pages, with around 150 words a page, and there are several books. I have to translate it and have someone proofread it.

Translating school books is a big thing in South Africa at this moment. The rates offered are the same as for other normal texts, and sometimes publishers even offer lesser rates. The work is generally easy and there's a lot of it, therefore many translators accept lower rates because this is a feeding frenzy, and snooze you lose.

Francaaz
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Samuel Dec 8, 2006

That is exactly the issue. Most publishers are sending the work abroad, making it hard to stay competitive in the US. At this point to be able to get the job, I myself will have to hire people in Latin America to help me manage the workload and get the job. It has become a very tight market! A few US translators managing Latin American teams.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RATES for Translations for Text-Book Publishers

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs